[comp.lang.postscript] Page selection wanted

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (04/21/89)

I am currently accessing a postscript printer via some version of Transcript.

My site has a frontend to it which allows me to run via flags several different
frontends before the output going into lpr with various flags.

This all runs under Ultrix 2.3.

What I am hoping to find is some way to indicate to the printer that I only
want to print pages m-n of a full postscript file that I am passing.

It seems  that the local frontend is running things thru pscat and then
into the lpr.

I know that isnt much help, but I am hoping that this will be enough info
to get the ideas flowing.  If this is a weekly type question, feel free
to mail me the answer.  But I HAVE been following rather quietly this
newsgroup - perhaps something came thru that I missed?

Lastly, when I try to submit large (more than 1 meg) postscript files, lpr
on Ultrix appears to get quite unhappy.  Is there any solution to that?
Even smaller files often partially print at times - but that might be
yet another problem... sigh.

--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (04/21/89)

In article <1022@n8emr.UUCP>, lwv@n8emr (Larry W. Virden) writes:
 `
 `What I am hoping to find is some way to indicate to the printer that I only
 `want to print pages m-n of a full postscript file that I am passing.

You could try to redefine showpage such that it only prints the selected
pages.

Try putting something like this in front of your file (Note: I have not
tested this!!!)

/count 0 def
/pagemin m def
/pagemax n def

/showpage
{
	/pagecount pagecount 1 add def
	pagecount pagemin ge
	pagecount pagemax le and
	{ showpage }
	{ erasepage initgraphics } ifelse
} bind def

Good luck!
--
Piet van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands

cplai@daisy.UUCP (Chung-Pang Lai) (04/22/89)

In article <1022@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
]
]Lastly, when I try to submit large (more than 1 meg) postscript files, lpr
]on Ultrix appears to get quite unhappy.  Is there any solution to that?

Try using the -s (symlink) option. -s is for large files so that the file
is symbolic linked instead of copied over.  It is supposed to be faster
by eliminating the file duplication. Don't touch the file until everything
is printed.

--
.signature under construction ...
{pyramid, osu-cis, uunet, killer}!daisy!cplai    C.P. Lai

stevec@fornax.UUCP (Steve Cumming) (04/29/89)

In article <1267@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl>, piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) writes:
> In article <1022@n8emr.UUCP>, lwv@n8emr (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>  `
>  `What I am hoping to find is some way to indicate to the printer that I only
>  `want to print pages m-n of a full postscript file that I am passing.
>
> You could try to redefine showpage such that it only prints the selected
> pages.
>
>	[correct solution omitted]

But Larry indicated that he was using Transcript software.
In that case, the psrv and psrev utilities are available,
and they do page selection.

Simple changes to the Adpbe-supplied shell script psroff
will accomodate you.

Steve
--
Steve Cumming	stevec@lccr.cs.sfu.ca	{uunet|...}!ubc-cs!fornax!stevec