[comp.lang.postscript] UltraScript

merlyn@intelob.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge) (04/14/89)

In article <28837@apple.Apple.COM>, austing@Apple (Glenn L. Austin) writes:
| What is required is something to read and interpret the Postscript code and
| output what the printing device is capable of understanding.  That means
| that even old printers could be capable of Postscript, it just would require
| CPU time from somewhere, even if it was from your computer.

I played with UltraScript yesterday on an Atari Mega ST, which takes
very-standard PostScript and interprets it for the Atari SLM804 Laser
Printer (a dump-a-whole-buncha-bits-at-it interface -- no internal
smarts).

I was pleased by the results.  The few quick benchmarks I typed in at
it placed it about the speed of a standard LaserWriter.  Although the
familiar fonts (except for Courier) were not there, I understand they
can be purchased as a package.

I'm told that you can purchase a Mega ST-4, SLM 804, and UltraScript
with all the expected fonts for about the same price as a LaserWriter.
(~ $3500 or so.)  You'd then have a printer that doubles as a
workstation (and runs FlightSimulator at real-time speeds, and for
$200 more runs Mac software faster than a Mac, and for $150 more runs
IBM PC s/w off the shelf, etc, etc :-).

Note: I am not connected with Atari except as a happy owner of one of
the first STs off the line.  My brother, on the other hand, sells 'em.
--
/=====Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095========\
{        on contract to BiiN (for now :-) Hillsboro, Oregon, USA.             }

durway@freya.dg.com (Lindsey Durway) (05/03/89)

In article <782@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.COM (Glenn Reid) writes:
>In article <553@hydra.gatech.EDU> iadt2tg@prism.gatech.EDU (Terry O. Greenlaw) writes:
>
>> Actually, it has already been implemented on a 68000 machine. Atari Corp.
>>sells a program called UltraScript that is a PostScript ...
>
>Just for the record, Adobe has nothing to do with this product.  I
>believe that UltraScript is a name used by Imagen/QMS, if I'm not...

UltraScript is a PostScript emulator produced by QMS/Imagen.  UltraScript
comes bundled with the Turbo enhancement package they offer for their
laser printers.  For a 3320 printer, the Turbo package is about $3500.
This info is unofficial (I don't represent QMS).  For the real dirt,
call QMS's main US number, (205) 633-4300.  They should be able to tell
you if UltraScript is available outside of the Turbo package.

Lindsey Durway (durway@dg-rtp.dg.com or ...!mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!durway)
Data General Corp., Research Triangle Park, NC; (919) 248 -6166.