[comp.lang.postscript] Setting emulation mode through software on a nec lc-890

mdorion@cmtl01.UUCP (Mario Dorion) (04/19/89)

Hi!

I happen to have a SilentWriter LC 890 which is a full postscript laser
printer made by NEC. Besides full postscript (batch & interactive) it offers
a fairly good Hp LaserJet & Diablo emulation.

A little control pannel lets the user set the machine's state (including emula-
tion mode) but I would like to be able to select the mode from software.

I have managed to write a postscript 'program' that puts the printer in HP mode

----------
	executive			* To put the printer in postscript
					  interactive
	serverdict begin 0 exitserver   * So that the settings I do will last
					  for more than 1 job

	executive			* since the precedent line ended the
					  current job and restarted me in
					  postscript batch
	statusdict begin		* so that I have access to the system's
					  status variable
	5 setsoftwareiomode		* into HP mode
	end				* Voila, I'm in HP
----------

Now I really don't know how to do the other half of the job!

Is there a way from HP or Diablo emulation mode to 'escape' into postscript so
that I can change the mode back???

As a side issue, the first part of my postscript program/script sets up the
system so that I can make permanent changes to the settings. Once I have set the
mode to whatever I wanted,  how do I tell it to 'put the write protect back
on' ???

Thanks in advance, merci!

PS:	I *did* RTFM and it's not there!

--
     Mario Dorion          | E-mail: xios!mario@cmtl01.UUCP
     XIOS Systems          |         ...uunet!attcan!cmtl01!xios!mario

In article <1240@cmtl01.UUCP> mdorion@cmtl01.UUCP (Mario Dorion) writes:

>I happen to have a SilentWriter LC 890 which is a full postscript laser
>printer made by NEC. Besides full postscript (batch & interactive) it offers
>a fairly good Hp LaserJet & Diablo emulation.

>I have managed to write a postscript 'program' that puts the printer in HP mode
>[...]
>Now I really don't know how to do the other half of the job!
>
>Is there a way from HP or Diablo emulation mode to 'escape' into postscript so
>that I can change the mode back???

Send ESC, DEL, zero (thats \033\0177\060) in the other modes to get back
to postscript.  I'm not sure if you have to wait until the job is done
printing or not.  You will lose downloaded HP fonts when you switch back
to postscript even if they were loaded "permanently".
I called the NEC information number listed in the printer manua to get this.

Les Mikesell

kjk@PacBell.COM (Ken Keirnan) (04/21/89)

In article <1240@cmtl01.UUCP> mdorion@cmtl01.UUCP (Mario Dorion) writes:

>Hi!
>
>I happen to have a SilentWriter LC 890 which is a full postscript laser

[ text deleted ]

>Is there a way from HP or Diablo emulation mode to 'escape' into postscript so
>that I can change the mode back???

The sequence you are looking for is "ESC-DEL-0" (ASCII Escape, Delete, Zero)
from the HP or the Diablo emulations.  This should be followed after a second
or two delay by a CTRL-D (ASCII EOT).  This will return to the PostScript
batch mode (mode 0).

>As a side issue, the first part of my postscript program/script sets up the
>system so that I can make permanent changes to the settings. Once I have set the
>mode to whatever I wanted,  how do I tell it to 'put the write protect back
>on' ???

Actually, you do not need to use "exitserver" to change emulation modes.
It is sufficient to use:

	statusdict begin <MODE> setsoftwareiomode end

followed by a short delay and a CTRL-D (EOT).  Note that when changing between
emulation modes, the CTRL-D is required before the new mode becomes effective.

When you *do* need to use exitserver to permanently set data, the magic
CTRL-D (PostScript end-of-job indicator) will return you to the PostScript
server (the "protected" mode as you call it).

Ken Keirnan
--

Ken Keirnan - Pacific Bell - {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!kjk
  San Ramon, California	                    kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

keith@sdscal.UUCP (Keith Jones) (04/22/89)

In article <1240@cmtl01.UUCP>, mdorion@cmtl01.UUCP (Mario Dorion) writes:

> Is there a way from HP or Diablo emulation mode to 'escape' into postscript so
> that I can change the mode back???
>
> --
>      Mario Dorion          | E-mail: xios!mario@cmtl01.UUCP
>      XIOS Systems          |         ...uunet!attcan!cmtl01!xios!mario
>      Montreal, Canada      |
>      1 (514) 744-3410      |"All the young dudes carry the news ..." - Bowie

We also have an NEC LC 890 laser printer.  We are running Unix System V and
have the printer connected through the lp scheduler.  The interface file
that we have is designed to run jobs to the laserjet emulation (which is our
default setting).  Sending the option '-opostscript' to 'lp', we set it up
into postscript mode and can then dump postscript programs to the printer.

Here is the stuff that you will find relevant (I hope):

To run a postscript batch job (starting in HP Laserjet emulation):

	echo "\033\0177\c"
	echo "0end"
	echo "Wait 2"
	echo "\004\c"
	sleep 10
	echo "statusdict begin"
	echo "5 setsoftwareiomode"
	echo "end"

	... send postscript file to the printer ...

	echo "\004\c"

The first bit takes the (pseudo-) HP Laserjet printer into postscript mode,
signals end-of-job, and then it sets the job back to HP Laserjet mode.  As
documented in the manual, this change doesn't take place until the end of
the current job.

There are some problems with this in that HP Laserjet jobs and Postscript
jobs cannot be intermixed well without occasionally leaving the printer in
postscript batch mode.

Keith Jones		Stream Data Systems
			Calgary, Alberta, Canada
			1 (403) 233-0690

I have no .signature because my pen keeps scratching up my monitor.

delta@rsbs0.anu.oz (04/26/89)

In article <1240@cmtl01.UUCP>, mdorion@cmtl01.UUCP (Mario Dorion) writes:
> I happen to have a SilentWriter LC 890 which is a full postscript laser
> printer made by NEC. Besides full postscript (batch & interactive) it offers
> a fairly good Hp LaserJet & Diablo emulation.
>  .
>  .
>  .
> Is there a way from HP or Diablo emulation mode to 'escape' into postscript so
> that I can change the mode back???

To return from HP emulation to PostScript, use the 3-character sequence:
<ESC><DEL>0

This is NOT in any of the NEC LC-890 documentation.  I found this while
skimming  documentation for a Ricoh PostScript printer which also has an HP
emulation mode.  I've tested it on the LC-890, and it works fine.  No, I don't
know what the equivalent command is for getting out of Diablo 630 mode, but I'd
like to find out!  By the way, if my memory is correct, you don't need to
invoke exitserver to use the setsoftwareiomode operator.

Eric Zurcher
CSIRO Division of Entomology
Canberra, A.C.T., Australia
Email: DELTA@RSBS0.ANU.OZ

lgrant@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Lance Grant) (05/04/89)

Does anyone know if this or some other method of escaping HP Emulation
will work on the Apple LAserWriter IINTX. Here again a method to escape
Diablo an any of the Apple LaserWriters could be very useful as well.

ADVthanksANCE