[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript screen dumps

tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) (04/28/89)

Does anyone know of the existance of screen dump programs for the PC that
can dump EGA or VGA graphic screens to Postscript?

Tom

--
Thomas C. Murphy         Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab
Internet:   tmurphy@zaphod.wpi.edu   tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (04/29/89)

In article <2071@wpi.wpi.edu>, tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) writes:
> Does anyone know of the existance of screen dump programs for the PC that
> can dump EGA or VGA graphic screens to Postscript?
>
> Thomas C. Murphy         Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab

I sell a TSR that does Epson MX-80 -> PostScript translation.  If you
have a TSR that correctly does EGA or VGA screen dumps to an Epson
MX-80, the two TSRs together will do the job.  (Though anything that
tries to screen dump EGA or VGA graphics to an Epson MX-80 is going
to be pretty grainy and ugly).
--
Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Governments that don't trust most people with weapons, deserve no trust.

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (04/29/89)

In article <2071@wpi.wpi.edu> tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) writes:
=Does anyone know of the existance of screen dump programs for the PC that
=can dump EGA or VGA graphic screens to Postscript?

I use Inset, a TSR that can capture a screen to a PIX file, edit it, and
send it to a PS printer.

Pete

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College				CompuServe: 70240,334

raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Eric A. Raymond) (04/29/89)

[I post this after failing to mail directly]

> I have some code which will work

Tell me if your code will work:

I have my machine hooked up to an Epson FX-86e printer and can do
screen dumps in graphics mode (a 640x400 non-standard CGA mode) to it.

I can send postcript files out through my serial port to a Mac which
will then send it to a Laserwriter.

Can I use you program to take the printscreen data going to the FX-86
and save it to a Postscript file (which I can then send to the printer
via my program)?

If so, tell me more ....

--
Eric A. Raymond  (raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov)
G7 C7 G7 G#7 G7 G+13 C7 GM7 Am7 Bm7 Bd7 Am7 C7 Do13 G7 C7 G7 D+13: Elmore James

alu@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (Alan Lustiger) (05/01/89)

QMS gives away EGA screen dump software with their PostScript
printers. I don't know if they sell it separately. It is in
their "bonus pack."

I have used it and it works well, adding things like drop shadows
and the option for a reverse-video dump.
--
               		Alan Lustiger
    |_ | |             	AT&T Bell Labs -- Engineering Research Center

vg55611@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Gopal) (05/04/89)

A postscript screen dump program is also sold by Offe Enterprises -
it is a TSR (uses about 8K of memory, removable),  does text and graphics,
will send outputs to either files or to the serial/parallel ports.
Suuports CGA, EGA etc.  Can send text and graphics to different ports.
Will do xon/xoff to the serial port.  User selects portrait/landscape and
image size.  Will do ibm character graphics.  The address is 1163 E. Ogden
Ave., #705-131, Naperville, IL 60540.

Anyone know what all the "bonus pack" from QMS offers and what the price is ?

Venu P. Gopal
UUCP:	att!ihuxy!vg55611
Internet: vg55611@ihuxy.att.com
BITNET: com%"vg55611@ihuxy.att.com"   or   com%"vg55611%ihuxy@research.att.com"
Silence those silent letters and save the world 500 million keystrokes a day.

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (05/08/89)

In article <692@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
> In article <2071@wpi.wpi.edu> tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) writes:
> =Does anyone know of the existance of screen dump programs for the PC that
> =can dump EGA or VGA graphic screens to Postscript?
>
> I use Inset, a TSR that can capture a screen to a PIX file, edit it, and
> send it to a PS printer.
>
> Pete

If you buy both INSET and INSET's companion product, HIJAAK, you'll
have what you need.  HIJAAK will take  the INSET PIX files and translate
them to Postscript.  (HIJAAK is a fine graphics-file conversion
package valuable in its own right, even without INSET.)

GARY BARRETT
UNISYS
DEVON, PA