[comp.lang.postscript] Underline question

tony@ajfcal.UUCP (Tony Field) (05/08/89)

Thanks to  Anders Thulin (mcvax!helios!ath@uunet.uucp), my nroff-to-ps
filter now supports "underline".

The Red Book (pg 93) indicates that the FontInfo dictionary "may"
contain the parametrics "UnderlinePosition" and "UnderlineThickness".

Does this mean that use of these parametrics may be non-portable?
Under what conditions is it portable or non-portable?

My Nec LC890 does support these variables.  Do other printers not support
these?  Do downloadable fonts "sometimes" support these?  etc...

thankyou....    tony....
--
+------------------------------------

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (05/09/89)

In article <95@ajfcal.UUCP> tony@ajfcal.UUCP (Tony Field) writes:

>Thanks to  Anders Thulin (mcvax!helios!ath@uunet.uucp), my nroff-to-ps
>filter now supports "underline".
>
>The Red Book (pg 93) indicates that the FontInfo dictionary "may"
>contain the parametrics "UnderlinePosition" and "UnderlineThickness".
>
>Does this mean that use of these parametrics may be non-portable?
>Under what conditions is it portable or non-portable?
>
>My Nec LC890 does support these variables.  Do other printers not support
>these?  Do downloadable fonts "sometimes" support these?  etc...

These values are in all Adobe fonts, and I think they are in many other
fonts from other vendors, too.

Be careful, when you are mixing fonts on one line of text, to compare
underline positions and thicknesses of adjacent fonts.  You may want to
pick just one value for the whole line (indeed, perhaps the whole
page), to avoid unsightly variations in underlines when there are font
changes.  It is purely aesthetics, and you may choose to disagree with
my feelings, but at least think about it or print some tests and look
at them.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems