[comp.lang.postscript] Mac PS -> Sun PS

lawyer@ida.org (Steve Lawyer) (05/04/89)

Can anyone help me?

I have a number of Mac users, who would prefer to use Microsoft Word (and
MacPaint-MacDraw etc) to create pages of information, which is to become
part of a Sun based system.

We have discovered that <Cmd-F> during the Mac print operation will create a
PostScript file (without "AppleDict md") and <Cmd-K> appears to create a
PostScript file (starting with "AppleDict md").  After transfering either
file to the Sun (via TOPS), inserting a "%!" where needed, neither file
will print on a laserwriter attached to the Sun nor display under NeWS.

Does anyone know what I need to change to get these documents to display/print
on the Sun?  thanks in advance!

---------------------
Steve Lawyer
InterNet      lawyer@ida.org
UUCP        ..!csed-1!lawyer

NMKATZ@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Nicholas M. Katz) (05/09/89)

Try this, which works to print mac stuff via my NeXT. Good luck.=======
Subject: Re: Gratuitous incompatibility with NeXT postscript printer?
From: dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner)
Date: 6 Mar 89 15:49:35 GMT - <502@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu>

In article <sY31Dcy00hl=40YdRP@andrew.cmu.edu> jhm+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jim Morris)
writes:
>It is possilbe to put a LaserPrep file in front of a Mac-generated PS file in
>order to print it on a non-LaserWriter like a DEC LN03R or PagePrinter 40. Why
>can't the same be done for the NeXT printer?

If you are using the latest version of the Mac LW driver (the one that came
with system 6.0.2), prepend LaserPrep (or use cmd-K), and then run this
sed script on it:
---- cut here ----
1i\
%!\
gsave
402,421d
82,83d
20,24c\
/ok true def\
/LW false def\
/waittimeout 300 def\
/fc {} def
8,18d
$a\
grestore
---- cut here ----

The script strips out some LW-specific stuff (ok, LW, waittimeout, fc) and
removes the 68000 object code that Apple downloads and executes in their
printers.  I've had good luck with it.

Apple really does produce strange PostScript.  Not surprising, as it's a
call-for-call translation of Quickdraw.

Internet: dorner@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765