[comp.lang.postscript] "Large" page printing

stjohns@orville.nas.nasa.gov (Mike St. Johns) (04/30/89)

One of the applications I'm interested in playing around with generates
maps.  I'm interested in blowing the maps up by a factor of 2 or 3
during the printing process and getting everything I've painted on the page
printed out.  I.e.  doing a "scale 2 2" and getting 4 physical pages
to print out.

Perusal of the postscript reference manual suggests that "banddevice" and
render bands may be the appropriate set of commands to look at.  U
Unfortunately, the included descriptive text is very sketchy, and it
also says it requires the use of a device dependent set of commands
to do some of the low level work.

The printer I have to work with is a TI Omnilaser.

My only other alternative is to download the data to the printer 4 (or 9)
times and scaling and transforming and clipping to print 1/4th of the page
at twice the size.  Considering the maps I am talking about are 100K bytes
each, I don't really like this idea.

Has anyone experience with fooling with the "banddevice" routines?  Or,
failing that, has any one got a way of taking "device space", saving
it, clipping portions of it, and transfering a scaled up portion to
the physical page?

Mike

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (05/02/89)

In article <1864@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> stjohns@orville.nas.nasa.gov (Mike St. Johns) writes:

>One of the applications I'm interested in playing around with generates
>maps.  I'm interested in blowing the maps up by a factor of 2 or 3
>during the printing process and getting everything I've painted on the page
>printed out.  I.e.  doing a "scale 2 2" and getting 4 physical pages
>to print out.
>
>The printer I have to work with is a TI Omnilaser.
>
>My only other alternative is to download the data to the printer 4 (or 9)
>times and scaling and transforming and clipping to print 1/4th of the page
>at twice the size.  Considering the maps I am talking about are 100K bytes
>each, I don't really like this idea.

This is your only choice.  "banddevice" is designed for typesetters, and
I doubt if it is even defined in your TI Omnilaser.

Actually, your best bet is to be more intelligent on the host end.
Don't just put a "2 2 scale" in front of the whole drawing, because
then you have to transmit it four times, as you have noticed.  It is
better to break the map up into four different files before you
start, and get the appropriate scale factor for each one, and map
them to pages that way.  Then you don't transmit information that
isn't needed and clip 3/4 of each file.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

crtb@nih-csl.UUCP (chuck bacon) (05/03/89)

Here's a way to print an image which is too big for the paper.
It may fail, if `Image' is too huge for the printer's VM.

In this example, `Image' has a coordinate range of 2"<X<14", and 2"<Y<19",
yielding nice 2" margins all around, with a 1" overlap.  This image will
be distributed among four 8.5" x 11" sheets.
	0.0 10.0 inch 19 inch {		% Y range, 1" overlap
	  0.0  7.5 inch 14 inch {	% X range, 1" overlap
	    neg
	    1 index neg
	    gsave
	    translate Image showpage
	    grestore
	   } for
	  pop
	 } for
% No `showpage' at the end, because it's in the middle!
Chuck Bacon, crtb@alw.nih.gov
--
crtb @ dxi.nih.gov, crtb @ alw.nih.gov, crb @ nihcudec (Bitnet), (301)496-4823

lau@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) (05/03/89)

In article <1007@nih-csl.UUCP> crtb@nih-csl.UUCP (chuck bacon) writes:
>Here's a way to print an image which is too big for the paper.
>It may fail, if `Image' is too huge for the printer's VM.
        ^^^^
[ straight forward example deleted ]

>Chuck Bacon, crtb@alw.nih.gov

Actually, there is a very good example of printing across multiple
pages in the PostScript tutorial (the "blue" book, recommended and
fun reading IMHO) by Addison-Wesley.  The only problem with that and
this example occurs when the procedure to draw the picture doesn't
fit into the printer's memory.  Is there a way to get around this
problem?

Yan.
lau@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (05/09/89)

why not save yourself a lot of labour and use something like pagemaker.
make the PostScript and encapsulated file then select a pagemaker page
like tabloid or custom and tile the sucker.

tj