[comp.lang.postscript] Printer memory size

tsf@PROOF.ERGO.CS.CMU.EDU (Timothy Freeman) (05/10/89)

We've been having problems with files that print on one postscript
printer failing on other postscript printers.  The difference between
the printers may be the size of VM, the size of the execution stack,
etc.  Are there minimal standards for how much VM &c a printer should
have?  Is there any way to guarantee that a file that I printed in one
place will print in another?  It seems that PostScrpt's device
independence is losing here.
--
Tim Freeman
Arpanet: tsf@cs.cmu.edu

izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (05/10/89)

In article <4961@pt.cs.cmu.edu> tsf@PROOF.ERGO.CS.CMU.EDU (Timothy Freeman) writes:
>We've been having problems with files that print on one postscript
>printer failing on other postscript printers.  The difference between
>the printers may be the size of VM, the size of the execution stack,
>Tim Freeman

Perhaps, the printer that fails gets things permanently stored in VM
by programs which sends 'exitserver' to the printer.
Depending on the size of items permanently stored (until power off)
this way, subsequent jobs may run out of VM space.

I don't know of any good solution to this except for (1) resetting
the printer periodically (you can do this via software commands), or
(2) looking out for programs which tries to store something via
'exitserver', and modifying them so that they don't do that.

All PS programs should work on the original Apple LaserWriter,
which has probably the least amount of VM.  On ours, we have
181488 bytes on power-on.
Are there any other PS printer which has less free VM?

Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu