[comp.lang.postscript] Larger print area

andwi@majestix.ida.liu.se (Andreas Wickberg) (05/11/89)

The Apple print-manager gives the user an opportunity to increase the
printable area on the page. In Sweden the standard LaserWriter IINT
has about 1 cm margins that can be reduced to a few mm's with this
option on. I've tried to see in the Laser Prep how they do this, but
found it too stuffed away. The question: is there any 'clean' way of
doing this? Is the Apple function very device dependent (eg, will it
work on a VT600)? And what do they do?

edwards@bgsuvax.UUCP (Ken Jenkins) (05/11/89)

In article <1263@majestix.ida.liu.se>, andwi@majestix.ida.liu.se (Andreas Wickberg) writes:
> The Apple print-manager gives the user an opportunity to increase the
> printable area on the page. In Sweden the standard LaserWriter IINT
> has about 1 cm margins that can be reduced to a few mm's with this
> option on. I've tried to see in the Laser Prep how they do this, but
> found it too stuffed away.

Find the line below in the LaserPrep preamble.

pse T T 0 0 761 582 100 72 72 1 F F T F T T psu od psb
    | | | |  |   |   |   |  | | | | | | | |
    | | | |  |   |
    | | | xtrans
    | | ytrans
    | portrait mode
    ???

By changing the flags and parameters in the line above you can accomplish
all the same OPTIONS which the OPTIONS dialog box gives you.

Hope that's of some help. The two items marked with question marks I'm
not real sure of.

Disclaimer: My name is Ken Jenkins and I am here as a guest of Bruce Edwards
            to whom this account belongs. Although he may be interested or even
            amused by my ramblings, he should not be held accountable for them
            in any way.
"In the late Devouring Period, fish became obnoxious. Animals without
 backbones hid from each other or fell down." --Firesign Theater
Ken Jenkins (as a guest of Bruce Edwards)    CSNET: edwards@bgsu.edu
                                           ARPANET: edwards@andy.bgsu.edu
                                              UUCP: ..!osu-cis!bgsuvax!edwards

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (05/12/89)

I believe the trick used is the (lack of) letter postscript operator.
When you say letter (and all letters have large margins) then you can set
aside more VM for fonts since the bits for the margin area are free.

If you DON'T use letter then you get a full imageable page.

On a linotronic the letter operator has a real negative impact if you are
running 12" paper in that it orients the page the other way so instead of
using 8.5 inches your page takes 11 inches!

tj

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (05/12/89)

In article <1263@majestix.ida.liu.se> andwi@majestix.ida.liu.se (Andreas Wickberg) writes:
>The Apple print-manager gives the user an opportunity to increase the
>printable area on the page. In Sweden the standard LaserWriter IINT
>has about 1 cm margins that can be reduced to a few mm's with this
>option on. I've tried to see in the Laser Prep how they do this, but
>found it too stuffed away. The question: is there any 'clean' way of
>doing this? Is the Apple function very device dependent (eg, will it
>work on a VT600)? And what do they do?

Unless things have changed in the printer since I last looked, the way
they do this is by NOT calling the "note" operator, which itself
REDUCES the size of the frame buffer.  "note" gives you wider margins
on the assumption that you'd rather use the memory for standard VM
instead of frame buffer, if you weren't planning to write close to the
edges of the paper anyway.  If you save, say, one inch on each edge of
an 8-1/2 x 11 inch page, you save approximately 416 kbytes of memory.
Not a trivial amount.

The Apple LaserWriter executes "note" for each job by default, since
programs like MacWrite can't get close to the edges of the paper
anyway.  The option in the print dialog causes it NOT to execute
"note".  There is no other action taken explicitly, to the best of my
understanding.

Whether or not this feature has any effect on other printers should, I
believe, depend on whether or not that printer has the "note" operator
built in.  It is not a standard part of the language, but sort of a
paper size.

To see if this is really true, you would need to print something that
did not go through the Apple LaserWriter driver.  Write a PostScript
program like this:

	clippath .5 setgray fill

And send it to the printer across the serial port, or with a program
like SendPS which bypasses the Printing Manager.  You should see the
"larger print area", since it is actually the default from the
printer's point of view.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems