[comp.lang.postscript] questions about print quality with dvi2ps v. 2.10gf

hansm@duteca7.uucp (Hans Mulder) (05/12/89)

We are having serious print-quality problems when using dvi2ps (version
2.10gf) together with a TI omnilaser 2115 and a DEC printserver 40. Regular
11pt latex fonts (cmr10.329gf or cmr10.1000pxl) are too thin and, when
compared with the built in Helvetica fonts (which is used for pictures),
they look rather pale.

1. are these problems printer related. Do the TI and DEC printers notoriously
generate pale LaTeX output? If my memory serves me right, I never had those
problems when using Apple or QMS postscript printers with dvi2ps.

2. or are our problems dvi2ps related. Is there a fix to improve the print
quality. We checked the gf.c file, but the transformation from gf to
postscript looks straight forward.

3. is there a possibility to use the built in fonts in LaTeX/dvi2ps.
I guess we would need a set of tfm files and a dvi2ps modification.
We would prefer using the built-in fonts over CMR. Does someone uses
such a setup?

Thanks in advance.

Hans Mulder

mail:  duteca!hansm@uunet.uu.net
phone: 31-15-785021

hess@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Caleb Hess) (05/15/89)

In article <514@duteca.UUCP> hansm@duteca7.uucp (Hans Mulder) writes:
>We are having serious print-quality problems when using dvi2ps (version
>2.10gf) together with a TI omnilaser 2115 and a DEC printserver 40. Regular
>11pt latex fonts (cmr10.329gf or cmr10.1000pxl) are too thin and, when
>compared with the built in Helvetica fonts (which is used for pictures),
>they look rather pale.
>
>Hans Mulder

TI Omnilasers use a write-white print engine.  The other printers you
mentioned as having used previously use a write-black print engine.  This
causes differences in the effective pixel size (consider forming a character
by marking the background with round dots vs. marking the character itself
with round dots).

You will need to make a new set of fonts for the Omnilaser.  If you don't
already have a recent version of Metafont, get it and look for the file
README.WRITE-WHITE.  You may also need to modify your spooling software
so that the correct fonts are used for each printer.