[comp.lang.postscript] ^D's, was

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (05/03/89)

The person I share an office with has used PS only in the
context of doing some simple work with NeWS on a Silly Graphics
Iris. He understands it quite well however and is in love with
the language, and particularly likes that fact that 1) You write
programs in the thing, not just write commands at it and 2) everything
is ascii.

So when I told him about this ^D discussion we were having, he was
appalled there there was this piece of *BINARY* in an otherwise
perfectly ascii language.

``Why didn't they make it a 64 character unique string'' He asked.

--
        ``The way to heaven is through weasel lore!'' - Ted Kaldis
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

batcheldern@hannah.dec.com (Ned Batchelder, PostScript Eng.) (05/04/89)

In article <15402@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>So when I told him about this ^D discussion we were having, he was
>appalled there there was this piece of *BINARY* in an otherwise
>perfectly ascii language.

Your friend (or you, but no need to point fingers) missed the crucial
point:  ^D is NOT a component of the PostScript language.  It is a
widely accepted method for indicating end-of-file to serial-line PostScript
printers.  This is exactly analogous to the use of ^S to do flow
control. It isn't part of PostScript; it's part of the printer protocol.
There are printers (and other PostScript interpreters) which don't know
a ^D from any other control character.

A challenge:  find where in the Red Book ^D is discussed (except in
appendix D, for those of you with old Red Books).

Ned Batchelder
Digital Equipment Corporation
BatchelderN@Hannah.DEC.com

dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) (05/05/89)

^D over appletalk will give you an undefined operator error.

---
Dwight Kelly            UUCP: gatech!npiatl!dkelly
Director R&D            AT&T: (404) 962-7220
Network Publications, Inc    2 Pamplin Drive     Lawrenceville, GA  30245
             Publisher of "The Real Estate Book" nationwide!

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (05/07/89)

In article <8905041304.AA26209@decwrl.dec.com> batcheldern@hannah.dec.com (Ned Batchelder, PostScript Eng.) writes:
>In article <15402@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>So when I told him about this ^D discussion we were having, he was
>>appalled there there was this piece of *BINARY* in an otherwise
>>perfectly ascii language.
>
>Your friend (or you, but no need to point fingers)

No, I really do have a friend. Really.

>missed the crucial
>point:  ^D is NOT a component of the PostScript language.  It is a
>widely accepted method for indicating end-of-file to serial-line PostScript
>printers.  This is exactly analogous to the use of ^S to do flow
>control. It isn't part of PostScript; it's part of the printer protocol.
>There are printers (and other PostScript interpreters) which don't know
>a ^D from any other control character.

I don't really care about thei ^D issue much at all. I can certainly see
both sides of the coin. Certainly at some point somebody will write
a PostScript spooler/device handler that can have files redirected
to it, and certainly sombody will someday fix broken UNIX spoolers
that barf when they see a ^D at the beginning.

My question really, based on my friends observation, was thet, why
isn't there an ascii end of file indicator ?

>A challenge:  find where in the Red Book ^D is discussed (except in
>appendix D, for those of you with old Red Books).

A biger challange: find my red book.

--

    ``*CONSENT*??? I gotta chase her off with a stick.'' - Ted Kaldis
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

In article <8905041304.AA26209@decwrl.dec.com> batcheldern@hannah.dec.com (Ned Batchelder, PostScript Eng.) writes:

>A challenge:  find where in the Red Book ^D is discussed (except in
>appendix D, for those of you with old Red Books).

How many places does something have to appear in an official reference manual
to make it official. (My red book has it..).

Perhaps we should have a separate discussion about printers that emulate the
apple laserwriter and stop talking about ^D and postscript.

Les Mikesell

langdon@lll-lcc.UUCP (Bruce Langdon) (05/17/89)

In article <15526@gryphon.COM>, richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> In article <8905041304.AA26209@decwrl.dec.com> batcheldern@hannah.dec.com (Ned Batchelder, PostScript Eng.) writes:
> >In article <15402@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

> ..., and certainly sombody will someday fix broken UNIX spoolers
> that barf when they see a ^D at the beginning.

The SPOOLER is broken?

> My question really, based on my friends observation, was thet, why
> isn't there an ascii end of file indicator ?

I have seen ascii FS (file separator?) used for this.

Anyway, on any reasonable system it's easy to recognize eof, at least if the
input is coming from a file.
	Bruce Langdon  L-472                langdon@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
	Physics Department                  14363%f@nmfecc.llnl.gov
	Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
	Livermore, CA 94550                 (415) 422-5444
UUCP: ..{qantel,ucdavis,pyramid,harvard,topaz}!lll-lcc!langdon