[comp.lang.postscript] Printing USPS post cards on a laser

mcguffey@muvms1.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) (05/16/89)

We have a user interested in printing "post cards" on a laser printer.
Either a DEC LPS40 (8 cards per 11x17 sheet) or Apple LW NTX (4 cards
per 8.5 x 11 sheet) will be used.  I'm wondering about the following
items:

1.  PRINTING ON HEAVIER WEIGHT PAPER.  A local offset printer uses 32lb
paper for post cards, and the US Postal Service requires that the paper
be .007 inch thick.  Can the above printer engines print on paper that
thick/heavy?

2.  TWO-SIDED PRINTING.  The user wants to print an address on one side
of the card and mail-merge style message on the reverse side.  Other
than the front-to-back and sheet-to-sheet alignment, what problems
will we run into printing on both sides?

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing?  Are there any
other caveats?

Thanks,
-- michael
Michael McGuffey, Senior Software Applications Analyst
Phone:    304/696-3212			University Computer Center
FAX:      304/696-3601			Marshall University
BITNET:   mcguffey@muvms1		Huntington, WV 25755-5320
Internet: mcguffey%muvms3@wvnvms.wvnet.edu

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (05/16/89)

I can't tell you about the LPS40, but I've run card stock
through an older laserwriter and can share my experiences.
First, it is hopeless to put postcard thickness stock in
the paper tray.  In the Laserwriter the paper makes a very
tight turn coming out of the tray which the cardstock can't
do.  The manual feeder is cranky, but works.  The Laserwriter
II's may be slightly better than this, as the paper from the
tray and the manual feeder follow the same path.

The first problem is that 4 postcards on 8.5 by 11 stock
consume the paper exactly.  This means that you must get
the registration exact, plus, you can't print to the borders
because of the approx half inch margins that the printer won't
print on.  I ended up finding it easier to print 3 up horizontally
to avoid this problem.

As for double sided printing things work OK, but be careful.
Running something through twice faced the same way up causes
problems and jams.

-Ron

zben@umd5.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (05/17/89)

In article <May.16.12.34.57.1989.3513@ron.rutgers.edu> ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:

> ... In the Laserwriter the paper makes a very tight turn coming out of
> the tray which the cardstock can't do.  ...  The LaserwriterII's may be
> slightly better than this, as the paper from the tray and the manual
> feeder follow the same path.

What is perhaps more important, on the II you can open the back and get a
straight paper path through the machine so the paper does not have to take
that tight bend.  This made all the differance in the world in trying to
laser print onto stickon label stock.  Using manual feed on the LW II
(with MDQS Ron! :-) I can reliably print to 33 per page 1 x 2.75" mailing
labels and 9 per page 2 x 2.75" minifloppy labels.

With the proviso that Ron speaks of: you cannot print the little strips of
space where the printer will not print.  This has not been a problem for me.

I used MacDraw to make a template of where the label borders are.  I move
the text or graphics to where I want them.  My last step before printing is
to delete the template (a single "grouped" item).  I then use the "f-key"
trick to get a postscript file and a locally developed file send program to
send the file into the printer queue.  I always arrange for a header page
that says Load Label Stock, so I just manual feed one paper and if it is my
job I can manual feed the label stock at that point.

Gotchas:

If you're doing graphics use the Precision Bitmap Alignment option to avoid
aliasing due to the 288/300 dot mismatch.  In any case use the Larger Print
Area option to reduce the size of the unprintable bounds.  These options will
affect your templates, so build them with the options on.  Some label stock
is asymmetrical, so make sure you manual feed it consistently.
--
Copyright 1987 Ben Cranston (you may redistribute ONLY if your recipients can).
       umd5.UUCP    <=      {seismo!mimsy,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben