[comp.lang.postscript] Anyone using Janus

dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) (05/16/89)

Is anyone using Janus (posted a few weeks ago to c.b.m) to send
postscript from another computer's serial port (i.e. A unix box)
to a laserwriter connected on an appletalk network?

If so, are you having any problems?  Especially with printer-spoolers on
the mac.
---
Dwight Kelly            UUCP: gatech!npiatl!dkelly
Director R&D            AT&T: (404) 962-7220
Network Publications, Inc    2 Pamplin Drive     Lawrenceville, GA  30245
             Publisher of "The Real Estate Book" nationwide!

jrw@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (jack.r.wright) (05/16/89)

From article <374@npiatl.UUCP>, by dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly):

jrw@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (jack.r.wright) (05/17/89)

From article <807@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, by jrw@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (jack.r.wright):
> From article <374@npiatl.UUCP>, by dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly):
>> Is anyone using Janus (posted a few weeks ago to c.b.m) to send
>> postscript from another computer's serial port (i.e. A unix box)
>> to a laserwriter connected on an appletalk network?
>>
>> If so, are you having any problems?  Especially with printer-spoolers on
>> the mac.
>> ---
>> Dwight Kelly            UUCP: gatech!npiatl!dkelly
>> Director R&D            AT&T: (404) 962-7220
>> Network Publications, Inc    2 Pamplin Drive     Lawrenceville, GA  30245
>>              Publisher of "The Real Estate Book" nationwide!

Sorry, my posting got clobbered.  What I said was:

	I am using Janus in our local StarLAN network.  Currently, it's
running on a Mac II under Multifinder.  The Mac II is attached to the
StarLAN printer server so the Laserwriter appears to be attached directly
to the server.  This allows PC users to share the LW through a familiar
environment.  The server handles the spooling of files to be printed.
I haven't experienced any problems so far.

Jack Wright

wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (05/17/89)

In article <807@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> jrw@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (jack.r.wright) writes:
>From article <374@npiatl.UUCP>, by dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly):
>> Is anyone using Janus (posted a few weeks ago to c.b.m) to send
>> postscript from another computer's serial port (i.e. A unix box)
>> to a laserwriter connected on an appletalk network?

I missed this, since I normally do not read comp.binaries.mac.  Sounds
like we could use it to get our 3b2's to talk to our LC890 on our
Appletalk network.  Does anyone know whether it will work under Tops
(which we run on our Appletalk network)?  Does it just use a serial
port on the server on the Appletalk network (we've got a unused one
on our Mac II)?

Where can I get janus?  Is there an archive site for comp.binaries.mac?