[comp.lang.postscript] Strange specs. for QUME ScripTEN Laser Printer

rick@trlamct.oz (Rick Coxhill) (05/15/89)

I am considering purchase of one of these printers. Looking at the spec.
sheet, I noticed the following:

"Type Styles and Sizes
Most characters can be printed in sizes from 2-point to 127-point.
                                             ^           ^
...... [other stuff deleted]."

The printer claims to be a Postscript printer, so why is there this
upper limit on point size?

The local distributors claim the specs. are wrong.
--
UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!trlamct.oz!rick        Tel: 61 3 541 6249
ARPA:    rick%trlamct.oz@uunet.uu.net          Fax: 61 3 541 8863

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (05/17/89)

In article <565@trlamct.oz> rick@trlamct.oz (Rick Coxhill) writes:
>I am considering purchase of one of these printers. Looking at the spec.
>sheet, I noticed the following:
>
>"Type Styles and Sizes
>Most characters can be printed in sizes from 2-point to 127-point.
>                                             ^           ^
>...... [other stuff deleted]."
>
>The printer claims to be a Postscript printer, so why is there this
>upper limit on point size?

It is an Adobe  PostScript printer, and there is no limit on point
size.  I think that application software only supported a limited range
when they originally put their marketing literature together, and those
numbers only reflect that.  I imagine that they thought it was an
impressive range and left it at that (after all, who needs type bigger
than 127 point, right?)

Rest assured; I think we once calculated here that you can image a
character as big as Cleveland if you want to....

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (05/17/89)

In article <834@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.COM (Glenn Reid) writes:
}after all, who needs type bigger
}than 127 point, right?)

Actually something like 800 point is a pretty interesting size: it is the
size at which a single letter just fills a full 8.5x11 page.  You could do
your "Happy Birthday" banner at one-page-per-letter at that size.

  /Bernie\

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (05/18/89)

#
# "Type Styles and Sizes
# Most characters can be printed in sizes from 2-point to 127-point.
#                                              ^           ^
# ...... [other stuff deleted]."
#
# The printer claims to be a Postscript printer, so why is there this
# upper limit on point size?
#
# The local distributors claim the specs. are wrong.
# --
# UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!trlamct.oz!rick        Tel: 61 3 541 6249

Someone probably tried to alter their Microsoft Word PRD file to
produce #127 point type, found it didn't work, and assumed it was
the printer's limit.  In fact, it is a problem in Microsoft Word
PRD structure definition.

Are you sure it doesn't use a PostScript near-clone, instead?
--
Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Assault rifle possession is a victimless crime.