[comp.lang.postscript] Micrsoft Word printing to file

gsl3@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Generics Software Ltd.) (04/27/89)

Could anyone help me ? In microsoft WORD it is possible to print
to a file. The contents of the file certainly look as if it is
postscript format. However, is it possible to simply dump this to
a laserprinter and expect it to print (naive, who me ?) or does
word do some initialisation that is not save to this file.
Thanks in advance !

Andy Trayler
Generics Software Ltd.
Sandyford, Dublin.
Ireland.

trayler@genrix.uucp

kuno@caen.engin.umich.edu (Harumi Anne Kuno) (04/28/89)

In article <43289@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie> gsl3@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Generics Software Ltd.) writes:

>Could anyone help me ? In microsoft WORD it is possible to print
>to a file. The contents of the file certainly look as if it is
>postscript format. However, is it possible to simply dump this to
>a laserprinter and expect it to print (naive, who me ?) or does
>word do some initialisation that is not save to this file.

Assuming that you are using Microsoft Word for the IBM, and also
assuming that you chose APPLASER as your printer option,
once you have your document printed to a file:

FROM DOS

     1. Use the DOS COPY command to concatenate the MSSETUP.PS file
        to the printed document at the beginning of the file.

        The command will be:

        COPY MSSETUP.PS+<file> <file2>

        <file> is the file you printed the document into, and <file2> is
        a new file for the PostScript version of the printout.

     2. Using some kind of text editor, add the line

        %!

        to the beginning of <file2>.  Save and exit to DOS.
        MAKE SURE that the %! are the first two characters in the file and
        are on   a line BY THEMSELVES.

     3. Send <file2> to the printer.

//--- Harumi Kuno
//--- kuno@caen.engin.umich.edu

alanj@ibmpcug.UUCP (Alan Jay) (05/12/89)

In article gsl3@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Generics Software Ltd.) writes:

>Could anyone help me ? In microsoft WORD it is possible to print
>to a file. The contents of the file certainly look as if it is
>postscript format. However, is it possible to simply dump this to
>a laserprinter and expect it to print (naive, who me ?) or does
>word do some initialisation that is not save to this file.
>Thanks in advance !

Microsoft word does not write TRUE postScript.  A file must be downloaded
or sent prior to the word print file that processes the file into true
postscript.

What Microsoft have done is avoided all the long names used by PostScript
and have a header file that converts the shhort codes generated by MS-Word
into the full PostScript names.

The file is called POSTSCRL.INI and must be downloaded prior to each document
or made permenant in memory in the postscipt printer.

Hope this helps

Alan Jay

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not

sklein@cdp.UUCP (05/18/89)

>Microsoft word does not write TRUE PostScript.  A file must be downloaded

Well, maybe not on your primitive MS-DOS machine, but if he is using a
Macintosh, his problem is all but solved.  To send a PostScript program
from MS-Word (Mac):
     1) Select all the text that is part of the program
     2) Hold down the SHIFT key and select STYLES
     3) Choose POSTSCRIPT from the STYLES dialog box.

You can combine a postscript program with normal text in the same file.
 -shabtai