[comp.lang.postscript] Looking for troff to postscript

vogt@iaoobelix.UUCP (Gerald Vogt) (05/01/89)

I'm looking for a program, that takes troff-output and converts
it to PostScript. I want to print my Elm manuals on our LaserWriter II.
Is there any public source?

Thanks in advance,
--
Gerald Vogt
ISA GmbH  -  Informationssysteme fuer computerintegrierte Automatisierung

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (05/06/89)

In article <288@iaoobelix.UUCP> vogt@iaoobelix.UUCP (Gerald Vogt) writes:
<I'm looking for a program, that takes troff-output and converts
<it to PostScript. I want to print my Elm manuals on our LaserWriter II.
<Is there any public source?

Depending on the computer that you have, you may want to get in contact
with Adobe.  They have programs to translate troff C/A/T phototypesetter
output to PostScript.  The cost is about $495 (US).  It is an excellent
package (Transcript) that we use here.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (05/10/89)

In article <288@iaoobelix.UUCP> vogt@iaoobelix.UUCP (Gerald Vogt) writes:

>I'm looking for a program, that takes troff-output and converts
>it to PostScript. I want to print my Elm manuals on our LaserWriter II.
>Is there any public source?

Tpscript (from comp.sources.* some time ago) converts Device-independent
troff to PostScript. For C/A/T troff output I don't know a filter.

--
-- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
-- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (05/11/89)

:
: :I'm looking for a program, that takes troff-output and converts
: :it to PostScript. I want to print my Elm manuals on our LaserWriter II.
: :Is there any public source?
:
: Tpscript (from comp.sources.* some time ago) converts Device-independent
: troff to PostScript. For C/A/T troff output I don't know a filter.
:

Actually volume 15 of comp.sources.unix (5 parts).

 Thos Sumner       (thos@cca.ucsf.edu)   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca
 (The I.G.)        (...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos)

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704

OS|2 -- an Operating System for puppets.

#include <disclaimer.std>

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (05/11/89)

<
<>I'm looking for a program, that takes troff-output and converts
<>it to PostScript. I want to print my Elm manuals on our LaserWriter II.
<>Is there any public source?
<
<Tpscript (from comp.sources.* some time ago) converts Device-independent
<troff to PostScript. For C/A/T troff output I don't know a filter.

C/A/T troff conversion is done with Adobe's Transcript package.  Send some
e-mail off to adobe for details.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown
	        rutgers/  decvax!nicmad/
	ARPA/INTERNET: brown%astroatc.UUCP@spool.cs.wisc.edu

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (05/12/89)

There is a "phantom" program on a few of the Unix systems here which does
exactly what you want i.e. convert troff CAT output directly into postscript.

It's called "pscat," and thus far, I have only been able to find it on an
early version of the NeXT operating system, but I hear rumors of it existing
elsewhere. (Suns and such)

"man pscat" will probably tell you how to use it, and "whereis pscat" may tell
you if you can use it... (our system passed the former test, but failed the
latter)

-sedwards (not toddpw) sedwards@tybalt.caltech.edu

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (05/12/89)

In article <1090@ssp15.idca.tds.philips.nl> jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) writes:
>In article <288@iaoobelix.UUCP> vogt@iaoobelix.UUCP (Gerald Vogt) writes:
>
>>I'm looking for a program, that takes troff-output and converts
>>it to PostScript. I want to print my Elm manuals on our LaserWriter II.
>>Is there any public source?
>
>Tpscript (from comp.sources.* some time ago) converts Device-independent
>troff to PostScript. For C/A/T troff output I don't know a filter.

One approach, not perfect, is to run the stuff through nroff, and put
the results through lp2ps, which is part of the TeX distribution.  This
transforms printer-things to postscript.  I have only just started to
look at this myself, so there may be gotchas I don't know about yet.

Of course, you lose some of the pretty features by running it through
nroff instead of troff, but it may be enough for you.

annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) (05/14/89)

In article <10654@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP writes:
>There is a "phantom" program on a few of the Unix systems here which does
>exactly what you want i.e. convert troff CAT output directly into postscript.
>It's called "pscat," and thus far, I have only been able to find it on an
>early version of the NeXT operating system, but I hear rumors of it existing
>elsewhere. (Suns and such)
We have pscat on our SUN-III network at USC ... the man page says the author
is Adobe Systems Incorporated ... I am certain they can provide a program
with the capability you are after.  AJ Annala/USC Neuroscience Program.

everson@CompSci.Bristol.AC.UK (Phill Everson ) (05/16/89)

From article <10654@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, by toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel):

> There is a "phantom" program on a few of the Unix systems here which does
> exactly what you want i.e. convert troff CAT output directly into postscript.

There is also a program called thack which does exactly what is wanted, ie:

		troff -t -man manualpage.1 | thack | pspr

thack converts CAT control codes into postscript. It was written by a
colleague of mine Gareth Waddell and is in the Public Domain. I could send
out a copy or post it to comp.sources.misc if anyone wants.

It works pretty well - I've used it for 18 months to print out troff-ed
versions of manual pages, the mmdf documents, some fairly extensive
homegrown documents etc etc. It has some problems with tables, but does
fairly well, considering. The postscript output looks better when thack
is run under SunOS 4.0 or later as Sun changed the font width tables
for troff to match those for postscript then. It's still perfectly
readable under 3.5 tho'. It's also been run on a 3B2 without any
problems.

There is also a version for Device Independent Troff as well.

Let me know if anyone is interested in me posting this.

Phill Everson
University of Bristol, UK

>There is a "phantom" program on a few of the Unix systems here which does
>exactly what you want i.e. convert troff CAT output directly into postscript.
>
>It's called "pscat," and thus far, I have only been able to find it on an
>early version of the NeXT operating system, but I hear rumors of it existing
>elsewhere. (Suns and such)

Yeah, we have it on our Suns, but that's because we have Adobe's
Transcript running on our machines; the AUTHOR field of the man page
says "Adobe Systems Incorporated", and the SEE ALSO field lists
"transcript(1)", so I assume it's part of Transcript (or TRANSCRIPT, as
the man page says, or TranScript, as per PostScript - the man page also
says "POSTSCRIPT", but the Red, Blue, and Green Books all say
"PostScript"; I say tomato, you say tomahto...).

stripes@wam.UMD.EDU (05/19/89)

In article <832@csisles.Bristol.AC.UK> everson@CompSci.Bristol.AC.UK (Phill Everson ) writes:
>From article <10654@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, by toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu
>(Todd P. Whitesel):   [Removed]
>
>There is also a program called thack which does exactly what is wanted, ie:
>
>		troff -t -man manualpage.1 | thack | pspr
>
>thack converts CAT control codes into postscript. It was written by a
>colleague of mine Gareth Waddell and is in the Public Domain. I could send
>out a copy or post it to comp.sources.misc if anyone wants.
   [more removed]
I would love it, you should posting in comp.sources.misc would be good if it's
never been there before, if it has (or the author doesn't want it there) I
would love it if you mail it to me, we have a few people here who could use it
(me included).
--
           stripes@wam.umd.edu
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The