[comp.lang.postscript] what PS printers are HP compatible

jon@jonlab.UUCP (Jon H. LaBadie) (05/14/89)

We are about to switch to using PostScript for our output of
troff files.  At about the same time, another major group in
our office is about to switch off of "mainframe word processing"
to PC's and WordPerfect.  This latter group will be using HP
LaserJet's as their output device.

It woule be nice, if our PostScript printer were LaserJet
compatible to serve as a backup to the other groups needs.
Obviously, this is not the major criteria in the buying
decision, but it is a factor.  Thus, I would like some input
from those more experienced than me as to how compatible are
the various HP "compatible" PostScript printers?

BTW, the likely list of PS printers has been narrowed down to
either the Apple LWII-NTX, or the NEC LC-890.  No reason this
list can not be expanded, but I would be particularly interested
in comments about these printers.

--
Jon LaBadie
{att, princeton, bcr}!jonlab!jon

vpg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (venu.p.gopal) (05/14/89)

In article <778@jonlab.UUCP> jon@jonlab.UUCP (Jon H. LaBadie) writes:
>We are about to switch to using PostScript for our output of
>troff files.  At about the same time, another major group in
>our office is about to switch off of "mainframe word processing"
>to PC's and WordPerfect.  This latter group will be using HP
>LaserJet's as their output device.

Why not get your latter group also to use postscript (on the PC's) ?
WordPerfect supports postscript, so does Lotus 1-2-3 and almost all major
applications software now for the PC.  Using some sort of LAN, you should
even be able to use a single printer for both mainframes and PCs (we do
that at our site).

Venu P. Gopal
UUCP:	att!ihuxy!vg55611
Internet: vg55611@ihuxy.att.com
BITNET: com%"vg55611@ihuxy.att.com"   or   com%"vg55611%ihuxy@research.att.com"
Silence those silent letters and save the world 500 million keystrokes a day.

howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) (05/16/89)

>It woule be nice, if our PostScript printer were LaserJet
>compatible to serve as a backup to the other groups needs.
>Obviously, this is not the major criteria in the buying
>decision, but it is a factor.  Thus, I would like some input
>from those more experienced than me as to how compatible are
>the various HP "compatible" PostScript printers?
>Jon LaBadie
>{att, princeton, bcr}!jonlab!jon

I don't know if there's a board for your machine, but the HP LaserjetII
Printer has a Postscript upgrade which is called Jetscript. It adds
Postscript support to the HP PCL support. I know it works from a PC,
you can have Postscript (Apple Lasewriter Plus compatible) as well
as HP Laserjet format in the same printer at the same time.

|Howard Stateman, Hewlett-Packard Response Center, Mountain View, CA |
|howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM      or     hplabs!hpwrce!howeird             |
|Disclaimer: I couldn't possibly speak for HP. I know too much.      |
|Sysop of the Anatomically Correct BBS (415) 364-3739                |

jon@jonlab.UUCP (Jon H. LaBadie) (05/17/89)

In article <776@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, vpg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (venu.p.gopal) writes:
responds to my request for info on HP compatible PS printers with:

> Why not get your latter group also to use postscript (on the PC's) ?
> WordPerfect supports postscript, so does Lotus 1-2-3 and almost all major
> applications software now for the PC.  Using some sort of LAN, you should
> even be able to use a single printer for both mainframes and PCs (we do
> that at our site).

The other group is following a decision made higher up the ladder.
As to a single printer, the volume is likely to be too great for many
single printers and the two groups draw upon different budgets.

--

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (05/18/89)

In article <776@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, vpg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (venu.p.gopal) writes:
> Why not get your latter group also to use postscript (on the PC's) ?
> WordPerfect supports postscript, so does Lotus 1-2-3 and almost all major
> applications software now for the PC.  Using some sort of LAN, you should
> even be able to use a single printer for both mainframes and PCs (we do
> that at our site).
>
> Venu P. Gopal

I've been told that the Lotus 1-2-3 PostScript driver only works with
directly connected serial PostScript printers, and there is no way
to make it work through a LAN (since the printer redirection on all
LANs redirect LPTx).  (At least, that was the state of things a few
months back).

But I've got a product that solves that problem, if you need it.
--
Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Assault rifle possession is a victimless crime.

sklein@cdp.UUCP (05/18/89)

Well, as far as I know the Apple LaserWriters do *not* emulate the
HP LaserJet.  (well, at least the original LaserWriter & LaserWriter Plus
did not, and I don't think the LaserWriter II does either.)

But the Apple *will* emulate a Diablo.  I've had extensive experience with
the Apple LaserWriter series AND have been using the NEC for about the
past six months.  Maintenance-wise, the Apple wins hands down.  The NEC
is a big pain-in-the-ass.  Paper jams all the time, toner comes in a box
and spills very easily, the imaging drum comes seperately and is so sensative
to light that exposing it to normal room light for just a few minutes can
damage it.

With the Apple the toner/drum is combined into one convenient cartridge.
Just pop out the old, pop in the new.  No muss, no fuss.
-shabtai klein

UUCP:  uunet!pyramid!cdp!sklein   |  BitNet: cdp!sklein%labrea@stanford
Internet:  cdp!sklein@arisia.xerox.com   |  Phone: (301) 270-2250
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not
 bite you.  This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
                     -- Mark Twain

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (05/19/89)

In article <134400004@cdp> sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:

>But the Apple *will* emulate a Diablo.  I've had extensive experience with
>the Apple LaserWriter series AND have been using the NEC for about the
>past six months.  Maintenance-wise, the Apple wins hands down.  The NEC
>is a big pain-in-the-ass.  Paper jams all the time, toner comes in a box
>and spills very easily, the imaging drum comes seperately and is so sensative
>to light that exposing it to normal room light for just a few minutes can
>damage it.

Huh?  I've used both Apple Laserwriters (the original, Laserwriter+ and NT)
versions, and when I shopped for a personal PostScript printer, I bought a
NEC LC890.

Maintenance-wise, the NEC wins hands down.  It costs me about $15 for a
new toner cartridge, rather than $80-$120 for the Canon CX or SX engines
that the Laserwriters use.  The NEC has two 250 sheet paper trays, which is
a huge win, and I've yet to have a paper jam problem any worse than on any
other print engine I've used.  And guess what, the Canon print engine
cartriges also have a drum that's exposed.  Don't fault NEC for telling you
not to expose it to light any longer than necessary.

And another win for the LC890 is the two line LCD display that says
"PAPER OUT" or "PRINTING" or "PROCESSING" instead of varying combinations
of blinking lights that the Laserwriters are so fond of.

When my friend and office mate shopped for a PostScript printer for his
personal use, he was also sold on the NEC.  Neither of us have regretted
our decisions.

To answer the original question, the NEC LC890 will emulate a Laserjet-II,
just as the Laserwriter-NT and NTX does, though at a cheaper price.

Just another mans opinion.

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) (05/20/89)

I just got a NEC LC-890 which does postscript and emulates an LaserJet.
I ran the laserjet compatibility suite posted a while back and it passed
all three tests which indicates that a very high degree of compatibility
with laserjet+.  I highly reccomend it.

--
Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sun!sytek!syteke!jim OR
Hughes LAN Systems, Brussels  mcvax!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim

sklein@cdp.UUCP (05/23/89)

It seems I was wrong--the Apple LaserWriter II series *does* emulate an HP
according to the review in InfoWorld last week.  If you're still looking,
I suggest you read that review.
 -shabtai

jab@dasys1.UUCP (Jeff A Bowles) (05/23/89)

In article <779@jonlab.UUCP> jon@jonlab.UUCP (Jon H. LaBadie) writes:
>In article <776@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, vpg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (venu.p.gopal) writes:
>responds to my request for info on HP compatible PS printers with:
>>
>> Why not get your latter group also to use postscript (on the PC's) ?
>> WordPerfect supports postscript, so does Lotus 1-2-3 and almost all major
>> applicartions software now for the PC.  Using some sort of LAN, you should
>> even be able to use a single printer for both mainframes and PCs (we do
>> that at our site).

Well, some stuff just wants an HP, period. It's sad, but it's true,
and Jon seems to be dealing with that grim fact. So, some companies
offer "HP-compatibility" with their "Postscript" printer.

Now, I have to tell you about one experience with a company that
vends such a printer. I have the little brother to such a beast,
that is, I have an NEC Silentwriter LC-800, which is:
    a. Two sheet feeders
    b. "HP-compatible"
    c. In some fashion, at some point, can be upgraded to the LC-890
       which is Postscript and still HP-compatible.
I assume that the LC-890 uses the same software for its HP-compatibility
as the LC-800, which is why I'm posting this.

The LC-800 "HP-compatibility" turns out to be "it interprets graphics
and bitmaps that are formatted for an HP Laserjet, and interprets some
text formatting information destined for the HP Laserjet. It doesn't
understand most HP Softfonts I've tried, supplies font cartridges that
are different character widths/shapes from the corresponding HP cartridges,
and provides different combinations of typefaces in their cartridges than
you'd find in the corresponding HP cartridges."

In short, if the LC-890's HP-compatibility is like the LC-800's, you
can't rely on it for detailed features on the Laserjet, like "formatting
text". I run Elan's troff on a Laserjet II with the HP Softfonts, and like
it a lot, but can't easily use this "HP-compatibility" on an available LC-800
because of what I detail above.

And the secretaries using the LC-800 don't like the shape of the characters.
(That struck me as strange, but it's like me bitching about the feel
of a new keyboard, I suppose. Everything else can be right, but if that one
thing isn't right, I'll notice.)

	Jeff Bowles

ps. If you're stuck using troff, look into Elan's product. Good stuff.
--
Jeff A Bowles
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX

In article <9768@dasys1.UUCP> jab@dasys1.UUCP (Jeff A Bowles) writes:

>Now, I have to tell you about one experience with a company that
>vends such a printer. I have the little brother to such a beast,
>that is, I have an NEC Silentwriter LC-800, which is:
>    a. Two sheet feeders
>    b. "HP-compatible"
>    c. In some fashion, at some point, can be upgraded to the LC-890
>       which is Postscript and still HP-compatible.
>I assume that the LC-890 uses the same software for its HP-compatibility
>as the LC-800, which is why I'm posting this.

[incompatibility problems deleted...]

The office where I work has several NEC 860's and 890's.  We had some
HP incompatibility problems with the very first 860 which were fixed
with a replacement ROM installed under waranty.  We use at least a
dozen programs that think they are talking to an HP laserjet and have
not had any problems with compatibility or downloaded fonts.  I have
not tested the 890's HP mode extensively because all the printers
are accessable on the same network and we normally keep them busy
with postscript.  We have not had any major problems with these printers
but we do happen to be a few blocks away from an NEC office and get
good service.  An earlier posting mentioned problems with spilling
toner while refilling the printers which I didn't understand.  There
is a clever interlock mechanism on the cartridge and machine opening
that won't let you open the box unless it is in a position where it
can't spill.  I happen to like the $15 toner box vs. >$100 for a
combined toner/drum that other machines use.

Les Mikesell