[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript converter wanted

pcc@minster.york.ac.uk (05/19/89)

Has anyone out in netland got a C program to convert
Hewlett-Packard Laserjet II laserprinter data files
into postscript format.

Thanks  Peter Cooper

_ __                    __
' )  )   _/_            /  )
 /--' _  /  _  __      /    _________   _  __
/    </_<__</_/ (_    (__/ (_) (_) /_)_</_/ (_    (Peter Cooper)
                                  /

Tel: HOME 413982,  WORK 432755

dross@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (david ross) (05/21/89)

In article <611576330.19367@minster.york.ac.uk> pcc@minster.york.ac.uk writes:
>Has anyone out in netland got a C program to convert
>Hewlett-Packard Laserjet II laserprinter data files
>into postscript format.

Some weeks ago I posted a similar request; thanks to those who answered,
though none of the answers work: HPGL doesn't suffice, our printer
does *not* have a compatibility switch, and the target software does
not come with a Postscript driver.  (This is *not* uncommon -
consider, e.g., MathCad)

So - I'm still interested in an answer to the above as well.

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (05/22/89)

#
# Some weeks ago I posted a similar request; thanks to those who answered,
# though none of the answers work: HPGL doesn't suffice, our printer
# does *not* have a compatibility switch, and the target software does
# not come with a Postscript driver.  (This is *not* uncommon -
# consider, e.g., MathCad)
#
# So - I'm still interested in an answer to the above as well.

I sell a product that provides an Epson MX-80 -# PostScript translation
for PCs.  Most DOS programs have an MX-80 driver.  For more info,
call (707) 795-7342.

--
Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Assault rifle possession is a victimless crime.

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (05/23/89)

Inset systems makes a thing called Hijaak that converts from one
bitmap format to another. It will take an HP PCL bitmap graphic and make
an EPS bitmap file. Hijaak only produces bitmap files. There are some strict
limitations as to the types of junk it can translate and with the variety
of techniques that can be used on pcl printers to do graphics I suspect that
very few files will be convertible this way. They say outright in the docs that
lotus printgraph will NOT convert.

tj

kevinc@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Kevin Crocker) (05/31/89)

In article <1084@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU>, dross@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (david ross) writes:
> In article <611576330.19367@minster.york.ac.uk> pcc@minster.york.ac.uk writes:
> >Has anyone out in netland got a C program to convert
> >Hewlett-Packard Laserjet II laserprinter data files
> >into postscript format.
>
> Some weeks ago I posted a similar request; thanks to those who answered,
> though none of the answers work: HPGL doesn't suffice, our printer
> does *not* have a compatibility switch, and the target software does
> not come with a Postscript driver.  (This is *not* uncommon -
> consider, e.g., MathCad)
>
> So - I'm still interested in an answer to the above as well.

There are at least three such convewrters available.  I have all three.

there is hpgl2ps which converts hp plotter files to ps.  It works.

there is also yahp2ps which also converts hp plotter files to ps.  It
works too, but in my opinion is not as good as hpgl2ps, but then I have
a lot of opinions.

there is also a PC product called Hijaak that converts from just about
anything to just about anything else.  It works incredibly well.  I
have taken some very large hpgl output form CADKEY3 and converted to
lotus PIC, pc paintbrush, windows format. postscript. etc and it all
worked.  I have also taken some hpcl [ hp's printer
language] and converted it to ps and it also worked.

There is always a tool for whatever task you have.  I started my search
when I had need of a tool to convert highly complex 3d images from
CADKEY3 into something that I could print because I don't have an HP
plotter available but I do have a APLW+ and a Linotronic that use
Postscript.  When I found Hijaak I stopped looking as I don't need
anything else.

Kevin
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc,attvcr}!atha!kevinc