[comp.lang.postscript] More Legal Horsepucky

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (06/07/89)

Information International Inc. has filed a patent suit against
Apple and Adobe, claiming that PS violates a patent on scaleable
font descriptions to printer controllers  that III aquired from
Rockwell.

``III claims that it's patents cover printer descriptions of
virtually all types of scalable fonts, which could conceivably
cover new font technology being developed for Apple Commputers
System Software Release 7.9'' According to the June 5 issue
of EE Times.

Sounds almost as bad as the ``we have a patent on XOR cursors''
debacle.

--
       ``The who's who of Milwaukee only eats Ugandan pineapples''
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

rcd@ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) (06/07/89)

In article <16506@gryphon.COM>, richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> Information International Inc. has filed a patent suit against
> Apple and Adobe, claiming that PS violates a patent on scaleable
> font descriptions to printer controllers...

Seems strange that someone would suddenly discover the patent now.  Adobe
hasn't exactly been low-profile the past five years or so!  This is one
reason for my question--what's the date on the patent?  I'd assume that
Adobe has some patents of their own.

> ``III claims that its patents cover printer descriptions of
> virtually all types of scalable fonts...''

>...Sounds almost as bad as the ``we have a patent on XOR cursors''
> debacle...

Sounds worse, if you ask me.  What can they patent?  Multiplication???
The _EE_Times_ article was one of those typical stupid "oh by the way..."
articles about something really important, with just enough detail to make
you worry but not enough to give you any idea what the hell is going on.
--
Dick Dunn      UUCP: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd           (303)449-2870
   ...CAUTION:  I get mean when my blood-capsaicin level gets low.