[comp.lang.postscript] Adobe fileserver: alive or dead?

CET1@phoenix.cambridge.ac.UK (06/15/89)

I am failing to get any response out of the Adobe fileserver
(ps-file-server@com.adobe), even for index/help requests.
Has it died again?

Chris Thompson
JANET: cet1@uk.ac.cam.phx
ARPA:  cet1%phx.cam.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

wsinwaan@eutrc3.UUCP (w.nuij) (06/15/89)

I am looking for some new fonts to use with wordperfect 5 in combination
with a Qume PS-800+ PS printer. DOes anyone have some, either serious or
wacky unreadable ones ??
I don't know how to operate servers, or how to FTP... sorry...

W.Nuij

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (06/15/89)

In article <A075E98BD0876E40@UK.AC.CAM.PHX> CET1@phoenix.cambridge.ac.UK writes:
>I am failing to get any response out of the Adobe fileserver
>(ps-file-server@com.adobe), even for index/help requests.
>Has it died again?

The server is alive and well, and running smoothly.  I checked up on
your requests in the log file. You seem to have gotten 46 requests
since January (are there that many interesting files?), the most
recent of which were an index and a file of 69988 bytes, both sent
on June 14.  That was yesterday.

Remember, large requests go to the back of the queue, and the queue has
been pretty busy recently.  A few days is not an unreasonable response
time.  Also, several reports of problems that have come in from the
United Kingdom have turned out to be related to mailers along the way,
not to the server itself.  Some of them appear to drop any mail that is
larger than N bytes, without telling anyone (at least not me).

In any case, the file server is alive and well.  Thanks for the
inquiry.  I suspect you have already gotten your response sent
yesterday.  If not, it is lost in the Atlantic ocean somewhere.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

P.S.  For those of you who are wondering what it is, we run a mail-
response file server that will send you documents and things.  To find
out how to use it, send a message containing the word "help" to the
address "ps-file-server@adobe.COM"