[comp.lang.postscript] Rounding Corners

kibo@pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) (06/25/89)

[]
	Does anyone have a good way for rounding the corners/ends of letters
in a font?  (I.e. to change Helvetica into an approximation of Helvetica
Rounded, etc.)  I suppose a routine that knocked pixels off of corners
would work, if anyone has bothered to program such a thing...

	(I'm not a PostScript expert... yet. :-))  Thanks in advance.

james "kibo" parry, 138 birch lane, scotia, ny 12302 usa   /  All colors are
kibo%pawl.rpi.edu@itsgw.rpi.edu  _________________________/   arbitrary.
kibo@mts.rpi.edu                / Kibology    /  Anything I say is the opinion
userfe0n@rpitsmts.bitnet       /  is better! /   of myself, and not of Xibo.

jaa@basser.oz (James Ashton) (06/27/89)

In article <5665@rpi.edu> kibo@pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) writes:
>	Does anyone have a good way for rounding the corners/ends of letters
>in a font?  (I.e. to change Helvetica into an approximation of Helvetica
>Rounded, etc.)  I suppose a routine that knocked pixels off of corners
>would work, if anyone has bothered to program such a thing...

If you mean can you do this in postscript, the answer is no.  It is true
that some fonts (like those in the Courier family) are described as
strokes and somewhere in their font dictionaries (I'd love to know where)
is the linecap, linejoin, miterlimit and linewidth information.
By changing these four parameters you could create a reasonable new
font.  For example you could change linecap and linejoin from 1 to 2
for the Courier family fonts and have a Square Courier family.  In your
example you'd change linecap and linejoin from 2 to 1 if only Helvetica
was defined as a stroked font.  Sadly it is an outline font, meaning
the outline shape of the glyphs is given instead of the centre paths.
PostScript insulates the user from the output device's bit map as much
as possible and so there is no (even faintly easy) way for you to go
around turning off the `corner' pixels either.

						James Ashton.