[comp.lang.postscript] PS -> Sun rasterfile or X11 XWD ?

rob@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Robert P. Montgomery) (06/27/89)

Has anyone written a program to convert from Postscript to
either Sun rasterfile or X11 XWD file formats that they could share?

For example, has anyone written such drivers (either or both) for Crispin
Goswell's PostScript previewer?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
rob@ncar.ucar.edu

scowles@lll-lcc.UUCP (Sid Cowles) (06/28/89)

In article <3540@ncar.ucar.edu> rob@ncar.ucar.edu (Robert P. Montgomery) writes:
>Has anyone written a program to convert from Postscript to
>either Sun rasterfile or X11 XWD file formats that they could share?
>
>For example, has anyone written such drivers (either or both) for Crispin
>Goswell's PostScript previewer?

if you have crispin's interpreter running, all you have to do to get
sun raster is a screendump.  cropping can be done with jef poskanzer's
(sp?) pbm package.
sid
s cowles
uucp:      {backbone}!lll-lcc!scowles
internet:  scowles@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

rob@redcloud.ucar.edu (Robert P. Montgomery) (06/29/89)

In article <2522@lll-lcc.UUCP> scowles@lll-lcc.llnl.gov (Sid Cowles) writes:
>In article <3540@ncar.ucar.edu> rob@ncar.ucar.edu (Robert P. Montgomery) writes:
>>Has anyone written a program to convert from Postscript to
>>either Sun rasterfile or X11 XWD file formats that they could share?
>>
>>For example, has anyone written such drivers (either or both) for Crispin
>>Goswell's PostScript previewer?
>
>if you have crispin's interpreter running, all you have to do to get
>sun raster is a screendump.  cropping can be done with jef poskanzer's
>(sp?) pbm package.

I probably should have been more explicit in stating my goals.

I wish to be able to convert from any external format to our internal
format by stringing together conversion filters -- avoiding any human/
window environment interaction.  (I wanted to see what existed in netland
before writing anything myself, and thus duplicating effort.)

. . .

Taking the approach of displaying the image on a screen and capturing it,
here are a couple of existing methods (for whoever is interested):

1. Use Crispin's interpreter with the current SunView driver, and do
screendump with -xyXY options.  The pbm package will help in cropping
for the bitmap subcase, but not color.  (Has anybody got color working?)

2. Rich Murphey of Rice U. was nice enough to mention they have an X11
driver for Crispin's interpreter at qed.rice.edu [128.42.4.38] (see
x11/xps.tar.Z).  Thus, xwd may be used to dump the window (by clicking on
it -- simpler than specifying coordinates as in screendump).

(Rich mentioned there is also a Sun3 OS 3.5 binary on kappa.rice.edu
[128.42.4.7] in x11r3/bin/xps.)

Thanks for the replies,

Rob
rob@ncar.ucar.edu