[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript agony....

kennel@minnie.cognet.ucla.edu (Matthew Kennel) (06/30/89)

I'm having problems trying to print out postscript files on an
Apple Laserwriter IINT.  The printer is connected to an
Apollo 4000 workstation (running SR10.1) through a serial line.

Symptoms:  Typically, the light on the printer starts flashing, as if its receiving
data, but nothing comes out and the light flashes on to eternity (or power-cycle).

Usually, after I power-cycle (so light stops flashing), the _first_ document that
is sent comes out OK---but then the light never stops flashing and documents
after that never ever come out.  Success is better when I'm trying to print a plain
text file (made by enscript), and worse whenever it has graphics in it, (e.g.
enscript -G or simple postscript graphics).

I've futzed with the termcap until my face is blue---right now, it pipes all
the output through a program of mine which directly opens up the serial port
and stuffs the characters through.

For the most part, I don't even bother with the queueing and just stuff the
output myself, with either "cat" or my program.

I also have another program in another window that listening to the serial port.
Apparently the LWII is squawking back some error message.  This is what
it says when it gets into its light-flashing-but-no-go-mode:

****begin transcript
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand ]%%
****end transcript...

In fact, it repeats those two lines over and over about every second and nothing.
Like Jason, nothing save a total-power-down will ever get it to stop.

What, exactly is the "end-of-file"?  Looking through the red Adobe manual it appears
that for the original Laserwriter, it's a ^D, but, I can send ^D's up the wazzo
and it never ever seems to do anything.  I also tried sending ^D's right after
each document, but that seemed to make things worse---but I'm not sure.  But I am
sure that when it gets into that loop, ^D's never ever break it out.  Do I need
newlines, or what?

I haven't been able to reproduce exactly what causes it to go into this mode, but
it sure happens sooner or later---and mostly sooner.  Indeed, usually after I sucessfully
print out a document, the light keeps on flashing, but my window shows that no
error message is coming.  Then a few minutes later I get the above error syndrome
when I try to send the next document, or even sometimes for no reason at all.

By the way, the printer works perfectly when it's connected to a Mac through
Appletalk.

Can anybody help?

Please have mercy on me, I'm a novice Postscript programmer (by necessity only!),

Thanks,
Matt Kennel
kennel@cognet.ucla.edu

warb@faatcrl.UUCP (Dan Warburton) (07/06/89)

In article <73@mara.cognet.ucla.edu> kennel@minnie.cognet.ucla.edu.UUCP (Matthew Kennel) writes:
>I'm having problems trying to print out postscript files on an
>Apple Laserwriter IINT.  The printer is connected to an
>Apollo 4000 workstation (running SR10.1) through a serial line.
>
>Symptoms:  Typically, the light on the printer starts flashing, as if its receiving

You might have a handshake problem. I think the printer will operate
in hardware handshake mode (RTS/CTS) or software (XON/XOFF). I know
that when I don't have them set correctly I get similar symptoms. A
page or two that fits into the printer buffer than
blink..blink..blink..

hess@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Caleb Hess) (07/06/89)

We've had similar problems in the past that were traced to parity or bits/char
settings.  The end-of-file character is ^D, but if parity or bit count is
wrong, it won't be recognized by the printer and will produce yet another
error message.