[comp.lang.postscript] PS program to create font from BDF files available?

danny@iconsys.UUCP (Danny Young) (07/07/89)

Are there any public domain postscript programs for creating a font out of
a BDF (Binary Distribution Format) font description?  If I understand correctly,
BDF is an Adobe standard, so I expected to find one on the adobe archive server,
but there isn't one there.

Any pointers would be appreciated--sorry if this is a commonly asked question.

--
Danny Young		    USENET:  uunet!iconsys!danny
Icon International, Inc.    ARPANET: icon%byuadam.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (07/08/89)

In article <387@iconsys.UUCP> danny@iconsys.UUCP (Danny Young) writes:
>Are there any public domain postscript programs for creating a font out of
>a BDF (Binary Distribution Format) font description?  If I understand
>correctly, BDF is an Adobe standard, so I expected to find one on the
>adobe archive server, but there isn't one there.

I don't know of such a program.  Since the BDF files are bitmap fonts
at low resolution (intended for screen fonts), they aren't very good
for making into printer fonts.  Also, since these fonts are derived
originally from the high-quality outline PostScript fonts, there isn't
much demand for bitmap versions.

Maybe all you need to do is to revise your driver a little, to use just
FontName from these BDF files, instead of making them into printer
fonts.

Unless, of course, I have misunderstood your request.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

danny@iconsys.UUCP (Danny Young) (07/10/89)

In article <964@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.COM (Glenn Reid) writes:
>In article <387@iconsys.UUCP> danny@iconsys.UUCP (Danny Young) writes:
>>Are there any public domain postscript programs for creating a font out of
>>a BDF (Binary Distribution Format) font description?
>
>I don't know of such a program.  Since the BDF files are bitmap fonts
>at low resolution (intended for screen fonts), they aren't very good
>for making into printer fonts.  Also, since these fonts are derived
>originally from the high-quality outline PostScript fonts, there isn't
>much demand for bitmap versions.
>Glenn Reid
>Adobe Systems

I see your point.  The reason I ask is because I obtained a kanji font
(kanji are the Chinese characters used in written Japanese) in BDF from the
recent X-windows release which I would like to use.  Of course, I would prefer
an outline kanji font (does Adobe sell one?) but for now, this is the only
kanji font I can find.  BTW, the X-windows release has several other
interesting bitmap fonts as well.

Since there isn't much general interest in a BDF-->printer_font utility, I'll
probably try to write one myself (I've already written a utility to show the
BDF font).  Thanks for the information though.

P.S. I originally wrote that BDF stood for Binary Distribution Format, it is
really *Bitmap* Distribution Format.

--

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (07/12/89)

From article <390@iconsys.UUCP>, by danny@iconsys.UUCP (Danny Young):
"
" I see your point.  The reason I ask is because I obtained a kanji font
" (kanji are the Chinese characters used in written Japanese) in BDF from the
" recent X-windows release which I would like to use.

I put an extended version of a program `lwf' in comp.sources.misc last
October which prints kanji using the X 14x14 kanji font.  Naturally,
14x14 there are some jaggies.  I do not use the BDF form of the font,
however, but rather the compressed .snf form.  The X distribution
contains a program to convert from .bdf files to .snf files.

" 764 East Timpanogos Pkwy    BITNET: icon%byuadam.bitnet

I'll see if I can get mail to you to send a copy.  Is that
really a good address?  No `@'?  No `danny' -- just `icon'?

		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Internet)
		      lee@uhccux (Bitnet)

gerry@cs.keele.ac.uk (Gerry Pratt) (07/12/89)

> Since there isn't much general interest in a BDF-->printer_font utility, I'll
> probably try to write one myself (I've already written a utility to show the
> BDF font).  Thanks for the information though.

On this point I would like to have all the fonts that were distributed with
X11R3 in BDF (and then converted to SNF) in vfont format for Suns.

Anyone done this or know if it is possible?

thanks

gerry pratt - workstation support - university of keele
email: gerry@uk.ac.keele.seq1 * tel: 0782 621111 x 3290
--

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (07/13/89)

|On this point I would like to have all the fonts that were distributed with
|X11R3 in BDF (and then converted to SNF) in vfont format for Suns.

There should be a couple of bdf to vfont converters in the X11R3 contributed
software. Also one was posted to comp.sources.x.