[comp.lang.postscript] eexec code

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (07/12/89)

In article <976@adobe.UUCP>, renner@adobe (John Renner) writes:
| I have just posted my PostScript chess font named "Cheq" to
| comp.sources.misc. The posting is in five parts:
|         1 : the ascii version of the downloadable font (Cheq)

The ASCII version contains an eexec portion, which when decoded, has
some 8-bit-wide characters.  I presume this is one of the reasons the
eexec was used.  However, since the eexec algorithm has been publicly
"cracked" (see my message in comp.lang.postscript,comp.emacs from a
few months ago), I will provide to anyone a uuencoded version of the
unencrypted version of that part of the text if they send me mail.
(I'll also provide my GNU Emacs eexec encode/decode routines at no
extra charge.)

Just another GNU Emacs user,
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA                           |

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (07/14/89)

In article <4637@omepd.UUCP> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:
>few months ago), I will provide to anyone a uuencoded version of the
>unencrypted version of that part of the text if they send me mail.
>(I'll also provide my GNU Emacs eexec encode/decode routines at no
>extra charge.)

You'd better be EXTRA careful about this.  The font that John Renner
posted had a copyright notice in it, and if you rearrange the data
and redistribute it, I believe you would be violating the copyright.

I know you are happy to have cracked the "eexec" code and you are looking
for things to decrypt, but most things that are encrypted are copyrighted
software, and require discretion.

I'll forward your message to our Legal department to get a better
opinion on this, since I am not qualified to decide.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems