[comp.lang.postscript] psrev

kelso@gwusun.gwu.edu (John Kelso) (07/13/89)

Our Sun Transcript package comes with a program called psrev, which
will supposedly "select or reverse page order of a postscript file".

This program was going to come in handy when we needed to print out an
excerpt from a 300 page GNU Emacs manual.

Our problem is that psrev will not work on just any old postscript
file, but only on ones generated by other Transcript utilities, such
as pscat.

Does anyone out there know how to either:
	make modifications to a vanilla postscript file to make it
	digestable by psrev,
or,
	know of a p.d. program that will more or less do the same thing
	as psrev?

btw- the Sun "answerline" basically told me "tough luck".

	--
      John Kelso, System Engineer, George Washington University
     SEAS Computing Facility, 725 23rd St NW, Washington DC 20052

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (07/15/89)

In <1417@bleen.gwusun.gwu.edu> kelso@gwusun.gwu.edu (John Kelso) writes:
> psrev will not work on just any old postscript file, but only on ones
> generated by other Transcript utilities, such as pscat.

	There is nothing magic about the output of the transcript
utilities, other than that they follow the postscript document formatting
conventions.  Any properly formatted postscript file should be able to be
fed to psrev.  You can get a copy of the conventions from Adobe.

> btw- the Sun "answerline" basically told me "tough luck".

	This is not surprising.  Actually, it is surprising in a way; that
you got any response from Sun at all.  I'm starting to think that "Sun
software support" is an oxymoron.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"