[comp.lang.postscript] Encapsulated PS format for WordPerfect

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (07/20/89)

I have been trying to create an encapsulated postscript file (or an
ordinary PS file for that matter) that WordPerfect 5.0 will read in.
So far no success.  With the EPS file WP always reports an end-of-file
error, suggesting that it is looking for something I have left out.
If I change the header so it thinks that it is regular PS it reads it in
without complaining, but nothing is there!

If anyone can send me a short file that draws anything -- line segment,
circle, etc. -- that loads into WP, I would be greatly indebted.

By the way, the recently posted EPS circle doesn't load.
--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

vgopal@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (venu.p.gopal) (07/22/89)

In article <1989Jul20.122406.5912@cs.dal.ca> silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) writes:
>I have been trying to create an encapsulated postscript file (or an
>ordinary PS file for that matter) that WordPerfect 5.0 will read in.
>So far no success.  With the EPS file WP always reports an end-of-file
>error, suggesting that it is looking for something I have left out.
>If I change the header so it thinks that it is regular PS it reads it in
>without complaining, but nothing is there!
>
>If anyone can send me a short file that draws anything -- line segment,
>circle, etc. -- that loads into WP, I would be greatly indebted.
>
>By the way, the recently posted EPS circle doesn't load.
>--
>Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
>Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2
>	UUCP: ...!{uunet,watmath}!dalcs!biomel!bill
>	Internet: biomel@cs.dal.CA	BITNET: bs%dalcs@dalac.BITNET

On the other hand, I have had extremely good luck in getting WP 5.0 to read
in many postscript files that were not EPS.  The trick is to add the

%%BoundingBox n1 n2 n3 n4

line, where n1..n4 indicate the box corners.  You may have to play with the
numbers before you get it right.  If the numbers are wrong, you may see
nothing in the box.

WP strips off the "showpage" line but otherwise takes in the file intact.
It definitely looks for the %%BoundingBox line.

Venu P. Gopal
UUCP:	att!ihuxy!vgopal
Internet: vgopal@ihuxy.att.com
BITNET: com%"vgopal@ihuxy.att.com"   or   com%"vgopal%ihuxy@research.att.com"

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (07/22/89)

In article <1917@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> vgopal@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (venu.p.gopal) writes:

>On the other hand, I have had extremely good luck in getting WP 5.0 to read
>in many postscript files that were not EPS.  The trick is to add the
>
>%%BoundingBox n1 n2 n3 n4
>
>line, where n1..n4 indicate the box corners.  You may have to play with the
>numbers before you get it right.  If the numbers are wrong, you may see
>nothing in the box.
>
>WP strips off the "showpage" line but otherwise takes in the file intact.
>It definitely looks for the %%BoundingBox line.

Yes. the BB statement is part of the specification and is definitely
required.  I have included it in all of the files I have tested.

I repeat my request, could someone please send me some code that works?
I have included all the lines specified in the standard.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2
	UUCP: ...!{uunet,watmath}!dalcs!biomel!bill
	Internet: biomel@cs.dal.CA	BITNET: bs%dalcs@dalac.BITNET

hollaar%cs.utah.edu@wasatch.utah.edu (Lee Hollaar) (07/23/89)

There were some problems with the release of WordPerfect 5.0 that kept it
from working with EPS.  Call WordPerfect for an update, which made things
work a lot better for me.

			Lee

ces@donk.UUCP (ces) (07/28/89)

the problem you are having with the EPS file is that you left
out the ":"
the statement should read %%BoundingBox: llx lly urx ury

I just had this problem yesterday (without the : ) and spent
a few hours chasing it down.

-- charlie

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (07/28/89)

In article <353@donk.UUCP> ces@.UUCP ( Charlie Stalzer) writes:
>the problem you are having with the EPS file is that you left
>out the ":"
>the statement should read %%BoundingBox: llx lly urx ury

No I didn't leave it out.  The file was correct. (I just checked it.)

The problem is that early versions of WP 5.0 had problems.  This was
suggested by several helpful pople on the net and confirmed by WP.
They are sending me a free update.