[comp.lang.postscript] page bounding boxes in EPSF

jcgs@wundt.harlqn.uucp (John Sturdy) (07/25/89)

I am working on some utilities that produce EPSF output, and noticed a
little gap in the EPSF spec. You can specify per-document font lists
and BoundingBoxes, and per-page fonts, but not per-page BoundingBoxes
- which is a pity if you want to pick out one page (using psrev or
equivalent) and include it as an ``illustration'' in another document,
or if you want to paste the logical pages of a document together in a
fancy way onto the real pages.
Has anybody done something about this? If there is no de facto
standard (and nothing from Adobe about it) I'll use the ``obvious''
solution of inventing a new comment "%%PageBoundingBox n n n n" to go
at the start of each page. (One of tools I'm working on does some page
arrangement, a la psrev and psnup, and that will of course understand
this.)
--
__John            When asked to attend a court case, Father Moses took with him
          a leaking jug of water. Asked about it, he said: "You ask me to judge

                jcgs@uk.co.harlqn (UK notation) jcgs@harlqn.co.uk (most places)
    ...!mcvax!ukc!harlqn!jcgs (uucp - really has more stages, but ukc knows us)
John Sturdy                                            Telephone +44-223-872522
                      Harlequin Ltd, Barrington Hall, Barrington, Cambridge, UK

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (08/02/89)

In article <JCGS.89Jul25173249@wundt.harlqn.uucp> jcgs@wundt.harlqn.uucp (John Sturdy) writes:
>I am working on some utilities that produce EPSF output, and noticed a
>little gap in the EPSF spec. You can specify per-document font lists
>and BoundingBoxes, and per-page fonts, but not per-page BoundingBoxes
>Has anybody done something about this? If there is no de facto
>standard (and nothing from Adobe about it) I'll use the ``obvious''
>solution of inventing a new comment "%%PageBoundingBox n n n n" to go

The EPSF specification is a special case of the Document Structuring
Conventions, which is stated in the spec.  The Document Structuring
Conventions (as of Version 2.1, at least) already contain the
%%PageBoundingBox comment (it's on page 22 in my copy, under "Page
Comments").  It is used in exactly the manner you suggest.  Note that
there is also a %%PageTrailer comment and a few others that may be
relevant.  There is also a %%PageFonts comment for providing the font
list on a given page.

All of the comments provided by Document Structuring Conventions are
valid (and encouraged, where appropriate) within an EPSF file.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

jcgs@wundt.harlqn.uucp (John Sturdy) (08/04/89)

In <1039@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) writes
> The Document Structuring Conventions (as of Version 2.1, at least)
> already contain the
Thanks - I'll pick up the latest version
--
__John            When asked to attend a court case, Father Moses took with him
          a leaking jug of water. Asked about it, he said: "You ask me to judge
               the faults of another, while mine run out like water behind me."

                jcgs@uk.co.harlqn (UK notation) jcgs@harlqn.co.uk (most places)
    ...!mcvax!ukc!harlqn!jcgs (uucp - really has more stages, but ukc knows us)
John Sturdy                                            Telephone +44-223-872522
                      Harlequin Ltd, Barrington Hall, Barrington, Cambridge, UK

jcgs@wundt.harlqn.uucp (John Sturdy) (08/04/89)

In <1039@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) writes
> The Document Structuring Conventions (as of Version 2.1, at least)
> already contain the
Thanks - I'll pick up the latest version.
I have got the impression that EPSF keeps growing gradually. Is it
expected to grow much more, or is that about it?
(sorry if partial message got out!)
__John