[comp.lang.postscript] Permission to print Adobe files?

fryd@g.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Fryd) (08/05/89)

I think that it is wonderful of Adobe to provide reference documents for
the net with their File Server.  When I first started getting files from
the server each file contained the message:

>**** Notice ****
>  The files contained in the Adobe Systems PostScript File Server are
>  considered to be in the public domain.  They may be copied and re-
>  distributed at will, but if they are modified, please call them by
>  a different name, to avoid confusion.
>
>  Glenn Reid
>  Adobe Systems
>  PostScript Software Support

Apparently Adobe has changed their policy and files now bear the message:
"All rights reserved, No part of this publication may be reproduced,
stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any
means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without
the prior written permission of the publisher."

Do these new restrictions retroactively apply to files that were previously
received with the old "Public Domain" notice?

Who is the appropriate contact person to get permission from?

Michael Fryd                        Voice: (412) 751-5557
MEFCO, Inc.                         Fax: (412) 751-8403
2401 Coulter Road                   Arpa: Fryd@cs.cmu.edu
McKeesport, PA  15131-4251

richk@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Richard G. Knowles) (08/05/89)

Writing about Adobe's fileserver service,

In article <5757@pt.cs.cmu.edu> fryd@g.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Fryd) writes:
>Apparently Adobe has changed their policy and files now bear the message:
>"All rights reserved, No part of this publication may be reproduced,
>stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any
>means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without
>the prior written permission of the publisher."

That means we cannot even retrieve the files from the file server, much less
be able to pass them on!  The implied permission of asking for and
automatically receiving the files does not constitute "written permission".

-------- Whatever I say is my fault and no one elses! -----------

Richard G. Knowles                        richk@pogo.WV.TEK.COM
Graphics Printing and Imaging                (503) 685-3860
Tektronix, Inc; D/S 63-356
Wilsonville, Or 97070			or just yell "Hey, Rich!"