[comp.lang.postscript] nroff to PS

hg@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (henry.grebe) (07/26/89)

Is there a program out there that converts nroff format files
to PostScript format?

    #####                                      UUCP: att!cbnewsh!hg
   {     }    Hank Grebe                             att!hound!hankg
   | o * |    AT&T Bell Laboratories       INTERNET: hg@cbnewsh.att.com
   (  v  ?    Room 2A-606                            hound!hankg@att.att.com
    \ = /     Crawfords Corner Road           PHONE: (201) 949-2549
     \_/      Holmdel, New Jersey  07733        FAX: (201) 949-0959

kg@elan.elan.com (Ken Greer) (07/27/89)

From article <2582@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, by hg@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (henry.grebe):
> Is there a program out there that converts nroff format files
> to PostScript format?

Yes. Call...
                           Elan Computer Group, Inc.
                          888 Villa Street, 3rd Floor
                            Mountain View, CA 94041
                              Phone: 415-964-2200
                               FAX: 415-964-8588

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (07/28/89)

In article <2582@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> hg@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (henry.grebe) writes:
<Is there a program out there that converts nroff format files
<to PostScript format?

Nroff is a fixed spaced printer support program.  It is for things like
daisy wheel letter quality printers.  PostScript is a proportional spaced
type printer (fixed spaced Courier is included), but since that isn't the
main appeal, PostScript support is mostly for troff type programs.

Adobe makes a package called Transcript that has troff and ditroff support
for PostScript printers.  Give them a call.

Good luck.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (07/28/89)

In article <597@elan.elan.com> kg@elan.elan.com (Ken Greer) writes:
>From article <2582@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, by hg@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (henry.grebe):
>> Is there a program out there that converts nroff format files
>> to PostScript format?
>
>Yes. Call...
>                           Elan Computer Group, Inc.

I'm not sure whether this is an ad, but there are several free programs
that do this, and I can provide one of them.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (07/29/89)

In various articles people said:

	call Elan
	call Adobe

Well, add:
	wait for comp.sources.unix to ship psroff.
--
Chris Lewis, R.H. Lathwell & Associates: Elegant Communications Inc.
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis

steve@halley.UUCP (Steve Williams) (07/29/89)

>In article <2582@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> hg@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (henry.grebe) writes:
>Is there a program out there that converts nroff format files
>to PostScript format?

This gets asked so often that I usually ignore the question and followups.
(I'm not complaining, mind you. I asked the question myself almost two
years ago.)  But I happened to read a couple of the followups recommending
Adobe's Transcript and Elan's products.  I've got nothing bad to say
about either of those -- I haven't used them.  I do have lots of good to say
about a product called "devps" from Pipeline Associates (publishers of
the ever-elusive PostScript Language Journal).  We've been using devps
here for 18 months and we're very happy with it. It's a commercial product,
so it's not free, but it's not very inexpensive.  It costs only $395 (down
$100 from a year ago) for a single-machine _source_ license, or $795 for a
site source license.  It took about 20 minutes to "port" [:-)] the source
to our system.  For your money you get more than just an [ntxyz]roff-to-
PostScript converter, you get several very useful auxiliary programs as well.

Here's Pipeline's address out of the most recent PSLJ:

Pipeline Associates, Inc.
239 Main Street
West Orange, NJ 07052
(201)-731-7860

Steve Williams               ...!cs.utexas.edu!halley!steve

kg@elan.elan.com (Ken Greer) (07/29/89)

From article <1989Jul28.152414.28797@cs.dal.ca>, by silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert):
> In article <597@elan.elan.com> kg@elan.elan.com (Ken Greer) writes:
>>From article <2582@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, by hg@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (henry.grebe):
>>> Is there a program out there that converts nroff format files
>>> to PostScript format?
>>
>>Yes. Call...
>>                           Elan Computer Group, Inc.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is an ad...

No, it was just a response.  You'll notice there was nothing said about the
product, not even its name.

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (07/30/89)

In article <603@elan.elan.com> kg@elan.elan.com (Ken Greer) writes:
>> I'm not sure whether this is an ad...
>
>No, it was just a response.  You'll notice there was nothing said about the
>product, not even its name.

OK -- is this a product you sell or distribute free?  Given the number
of free packages that convert nroff to PostScript, I think the readers
of this newsgroup would like a franker response than you have provided.
--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2
	UUCP: ...!{uunet,watmath}!dalcs!biomel!bill
	Internet: biomel@cs.dal.CA	BITNET: bs%dalcs@dalac.BITNET

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (08/08/89)

Here is another way:

Assuming you have access to ditroff (AT&T's device independent troff),
there is a program on the net "tpscript" that converts the troff codes
to postscript.  I have it running in my directory.  You can get it
from archive #13 of comp.sources.unix.

It is quite a pig; every character is positioned separately on the
page, but this is the fault of ditroff, not tpscript.  It is
tailored for the Apple laserwriter, but works o.k. on our imagens
with Ultrascript (although the symbol font needs to be in italics,
anyone have a fix??!!!!!)