[comp.lang.postscript] PC ext. chars -> Postscript wanted

rl@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (roger.h.levy) (08/07/89)

I need a translator that can map a PC's 256 extended character codes,
(i.e. standard ASCII plus all the graphic characters corresponding
to codes with the 8th bit set) to Postscript.  A typical use would
be to preserve IBM graphics when printing files on a non-local
Postscript printer.  Ideally, I'm looking for UNIX compatible source
but PC binary or other source would be welcome.  Sorry if this request
has been seen before but my interest in Postscript is new.  Thanks.

Roger Levy
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
...!att!groucho!rl

vgopal@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (venu.p.gopal) (08/09/89)

In article <1384@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> rl@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (roger.h.levy) writes:
>I need a translator that can map a PC's 256 extended character codes,
>(i.e. standard ASCII plus all the graphic characters corresponding
>to codes with the 8th bit set) to Postscript.  A typical use would
>be to preserve IBM graphics when printing files on a non-local
>Postscript printer.  Ideally, I'm looking for UNIX compatible source
>but PC binary or other source would be welcome.  Sorry if this request
>has been seen before but my interest in Postscript is new.  Thanks.

I would suggest that you get a utility called SCRtoPS.  It can grab the
IBM characters right off the screen into a postscript file that you can then
send to your remote printer.  Does text and graphics, VGA, EGA etc. Uses
about 9K of memory on the PC (removable).  The files can also be read by
WordPerfect 5.0.  To get more info or their brochure, contact Offe Enterprises,
1163 E. Ogden Ave., #715-131, Naperville, IL 60563.  312-357-6679.  The price
is $29.95.

Venu P. Gopal   UUCP: ..!att!ihuxy!vgopal   Internet: vgopal@ihuxy.att.com
BITNET: com%"vgopal@ihuxy.att.com"   or   com%"vgopal%ihuxy@research.att.com"
Silence those silent letters, save the world 500 million keystrokes a day.

spage@cup.portal.com (S spage Page) (08/14/89)

TOPS for the PC comes with a PC character set PostScript font.
HiJaak by Inset Systems, a multiway graphics/conversion program, also
comes with a PC character set PostScript font.

I'm not sure if these are outline fonts or the actual on-screen dots
converted to an outline.

If all you want is dots, several PC screen capture programs will take a
graphics snapshot of a text screen, and there are many ways to print the
resulting bitmap image on a PostScript printer.

=S