[comp.lang.postscript] Type sample text.

cplai@daisy.UUCP (Chung-Pang Lai) (08/10/89)

]roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes, about Adobe's Font&Function catalog:
]
]> I've always wondered about the type samples.  Who picks the silly
]> little bits of text used in the type samples?

I think the best phrase of text used in type samples is:
	The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
It contains all 26 characters of the alphabet.

--
.signature under construction ...
{pyramid, osu-cis, uunet, killer}!daisy!cplai    C.P. Lai

caspar@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Caspar Terheggen) (08/10/89)

In article <3269@daisy.UUCP> cplai@daisy.UUCP (Chung-Pang Lai) writes:

>I think the best phrase of text used in type samples is:
>	The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
>It contains all 26 characters of the alphabet.

A shorter one reads: "the five boxing wizards jump quickly"
but this is irrelevant, because the reason for these sentences is an
*easy* way to try all letters on a typewriter (real words type faster
than simply the entire alphabet, so I am told). If you really want to
provide a good type sample you have to include "difficult" words like
AVIATOR (A next to V) and such, as someone else pointed out earlier
(I forgot who s/he was, sorry). If you just want to show all letters
of the alphabet "abcd..." would suffice.

 Caspar Terheggen   +31 80 612800   caspar@sci.kun.nl   U634008@HNYKUN11

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (08/16/89)

|I think the best phrase of text used in type samples is:
|	The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
|It contains all 26 characters of the alphabet.

This phrase is used to quickly verify that all the alphabet keys in
typewriter work.  If the letters don't work on your laser printer or
typesetter don't work you have a big problem. Type samples are used to
give an idea of the appearance of a typeface, including kerning. One
phrase I have seen is HAMBURGEFONSTIV. Does anybody know the origin of
this?

ath@helios.prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (08/17/89)

In article <1989Aug16.152652.3275@cs.rochester.edu> ken@cs.rochester.edu.UUCP (Ken Yap) writes:

>Type samples are used to
>give an idea of the appearance of a typeface, including kerning. One
>phrase I have seen is HAMBURGEFONSTIV. Does anybody know the origin of
>this?

That particular spelling is probably from Donald Knuth's The METAFONT
Book, or possibly his book on the Computer Modern Roman typefaces.  If
my memory serves me right, he also uses it in lower case.

I haven't come across either of these before. I have, though, seen the
word 'Hamburg' (with that combination of upper and lower case letters)
on several type proofs. It was explained to me that that word contains
the most important elements (glyphemes ?) of a typeface.

If 'Hamburg' looks good, and the typeface is built from the elements
that appear there, chances are that the remaining glyphs also will
look good. It's sort of a 'back-of-the-envelope' test of a typeface.

The remaining letters ('efonstiv') have probably been added to make
that test even more conclusive.  I would think, though, that the 'n'
wouldn't contribute much to the outcome of the test - its elements are
already present in 'm'.  Similarly, 'i' is largely represented by the
'r'.
--
Anders Thulin, Programsystem AB, Teknikringen 2A, S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden
ath@prosys.se   {uunet,mcvax}!sunic!prosys!ath

jaap+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jaap Akkerhuis) (08/17/89)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.lang.postscript: 17-Aug-89 Re: Type sample
> text. Anders Thulin@helios.pro (1362)

> That particular spelling is probably from Donald Knuth's The METAFONT
> Book, or possibly his book on the Computer Modern Roman typefaces.  If
> my memory serves me right, he also uses it in lower case.

Variations on the word Hamburg are in use as font samples for at least
50 year. And no, I don't know who & why it started.

	jaap

john@trigraph.uucp (John Chew) (08/18/89)

	Ken Yap <ken@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>... Type samples are used to
>give an idea of the appearance of a typeface, including kerning. One
>phrase I have seen is HAMBURGEFONSTIV. Does anybody know the origin of
>this?

"Hamburgefons" and similar nonsense words are used by type designers
to illustrate each of the different elements that make up the letters
in a typeface.  They typically do not have anything to do with kerning,
as a text sample much larger than a single word is needed to show all
the possible kerning pairs necessary for a typeface.

John
--
john j. chew, iii   		  phone: +1 416 425 3818     AppleLink: CDA0329
trigraph, inc., toronto, canada   {uunet!utai!utcsri,utgpu,utzoo}!trigraph!john