[net.micro] A wierd thought...

kim@mips.UUCP (06/11/86)

> My opinion is that the Amiga will NOT succeed without widespread availability
> of powerful and meaningful software that businesses need and use.  We
> should at least be able to get many of the same software titles that
> people recognize and purchase for their PC's.  So far things are just
> trickling out...
> --
> Eric Black   "Garbage In, Gospel Out"

Very true!  What is really bothering me about this, is that I continue to
hear (from completely disparate sources) that several major s/w houses have
products that have been ported to run on the Amiga "sitting on the shelf".
Supposedly, before these products will be released, CBM has to have sold
some "magic number" of Amigas ... this is to insure that there is a large
enough (potential) install-base to cover the cost of product support.  The
number most frequently heard is 100,000 units (Amigas).

It is *rumored* that this is the case with 1-2-3, dBase II/III, and
TurboPascal.  Can anyone on the net confirm/deny these rumors ... I know
that Lotus is on the net, so perhaps they would care to comment.

And lesee, I recall Borland promising to support the Amiga in the 1st
issue of AmigaWorld, etc.  Haven't seen anything further from them since
then ... looks like they are catering only to PC-DOS machines, since
their latest offering (TurboPROLOG) won't even run on a generic MS-DOS
machine ... ridiculous for a *compiler*!

/kim
--

UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!kim
DDD:   408-720-1700 x231

doc@pucc-j (Craig Norborg) (06/12/86)

In article <503@mips.UUCP> kim@mips.UUCP writes:
>Very true!  What is really bothering me about this, is that I continue to
>hear (from completely disparate sources) that several major s/w houses have
>products that have been ported to run on the Amiga "sitting on the shelf".
>Supposedly, before these products will be released, CBM has to have sold
>some "magic number" of Amigas ... this is to insure that there is a large
>enough (potential) install-base to cover the cost of product support.  The
>number most frequently heard is 100,000 units (Amigas).

    BTW Commodore...  Is there any official releases on the number of Amigas
sold to date?  I know alot of people are wondering...

pariseau@well.UUCP (Robert S. Pariseau) (06/13/86)

Kim--
  On the other hand, those folks who have brought out Amiga products are
doing VERY well with them.  (If you want to see a pleased person, take a
look at Bill Volk of Aegis!)

Naturally, some of this is due to the products being plain good.  But much
of it is due to the lack of competition!  The Amiga is going to make some
small companies into big companies, believe me!

The amazing thing to me is just how much third party support already
exists for the Amiga, Commodore's efforts notwithstanding.

kim@mips.UUCP (06/15/86)

[ "Send lawyers, guns, and money ..." ]

> Kim--
>   On the other hand, those folks who have brought out Amiga products are
> doing VERY well with them.  (If you want to see a pleased person, take a
> look at Bill Volk of Aegis!)
>
> Naturally, some of this is due to the products being plain good.  But much
> of it is due to the lack of competition!  The Amiga is going to make some
> small companies into big companies, believe me!
>
> The amazing thing to me is just how much third party support already
> exists for the Amiga, Commodore's efforts notwithstanding.

Right you are, Bob!  And many of the applications are far superior to
anything that will ever run on a PC.

On the other hand, in order to do moderately well in the *traditional*
(read conservative, with a considerable investment in existing s/w)
business market, recognized names and products such as Lotus, Ashton-Tate,
etc. would be a big plus ... along with an *intelligent* advertising
campaign on CBM's part (which has been truly abysmal, to date).

In any case, it may well be a moot point ... *if* CBM can get the
Sidecar out the door in a reasonable amount of time, at a reasonable
price, with the capabilities and expandability that was reported at COMDEX,
and *most importantly* with high RELIABILITY and ROBUSTNESS ...

Good to see you and RJ back on the net ... hope you will continue to make
it to the BADGE meetings, also (next one is the 19th).

/kim