[net.micro] Turbo Prolog and Borland

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) (06/12/86)

[ E = line_eater^2 ]

In article <503@mips.UUCP> kim@mips.UUCP writes:

>And lesee, I recall Borland promising to support the Amiga in the 1st
>issue of AmigaWorld, etc.  Haven't seen anything further from them since
>then ... looks like they are catering only to PC-DOS machines, since
>their latest offering (TurboPROLOG) won't even run on a generic MS-DOS
>machine ... ridiculous for a *compiler*!
>
>/kim
>UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!kim

   Now here's a sore spot!  Borland introduced a fairly decent Prolog
   compiler and has settled firmly into IBM's pocket.  They have for-
   saken the rest of the PC-industry by only releasing a PC-DOS version
   of what's going to become a de-facto programming standard much in the
   same way as Turbo Pascal.  Well, can you blame them?  I mean there
   are MILLIONS of PC-DOS machines out there.  A gorgeous user-base
   just ripe for the picking.

   However, I think that Borland is going to loose a lot of respect
   if not support from all non-PC-DOS users if they  do not plan to
   release a generic MS-DOS version of Turbo Prolog.  I suggest that
   those PC owners who want Prolog but do not have 100% compatibles
   get on the horn and send Borland a letter.  The more people who do
   this the better!  Maybe we can show them that there are other people
   out here besides those three-letter people.

   Personally, I have written them myself to complain and question
   them.  They have been too busy to respond to my two letters.  Well,
   as an owner of and consultant for DEC Rainbows, I find it disheartening
   that they have forsaken the very machine they began their Turbo
   Pascal project on.

   Let's write them!  Everyone who wants to see a generic MS-DOS version
   of Turbo Prolog - WRITE!   Come on.  Maybe we can make history here.

   Alan

   When not causing small riots:      alan i. vymetalik
   bitnet:                              aiv1974@ritvaxd
   uucp:       {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917

   Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed herein are solely mine and
   I am solely responsible for their content and nature.  No one
   else is to be held accountable.

   Turbo Prolog and Turbo Pascal are trademarks of Borland, International.

kim@mips.UUCP (06/15/86)

[ "Send lawyers, guns, and money ..." ]

>    Let's write them!  Everyone who wants to see a generic MS-DOS version
>    of Turbo Prolog - WRITE!   Come on.  Maybe we can make history here.
>
>    Alan

I would also like to get an answer from Borland as to when we might see
their mythical "TurboC" ... for *any* machine.

I purchased TurboPascal 1.0 about a month after it was released, which
got me put on Borland's mailing-list.  In a couple of their mailings
(which were four-color, four-page, newspaper/newsprint things), they
said that their "C" would be available "soon".

I was never one to hold my breath waiting for announced s/w that would be
available "soon", but when I upgraded to TurboPascal 2.0, I did ask the
marketing person that I spoke with at Borland when "C" was coming out.
"Within the next 6 months", I was told.

When I upgraded to 3.x, I asked again.  Then the answer was "We dunno".
I finally broke down and purchased both Eco-C and MIX C.  Wonder what
Borland will say when it comes time to upgrade TurboPascal to 4.0?
(Assuming they will make an MS-DOS version of 4.0 even available :-) ).
			    ^^

/kim
--

UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!kim
DDD:   408-720-1700 x231

chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu (Brent Chapman) (06/15/86)

In article <507@mips.UUCP> kim@mips.UUCP writes:

>>    Let's write them!  Everyone who wants to see a generic MS-DOS version
>>    of Turbo Prolog - WRITE!   Come on.  Maybe we can make history here.
>>
>>    Alan
>
>I would also like to get an answer from Borland as to when we might see
>their mythical "TurboC" ... for *any* machine.

I have this sneaky little suspicion that Borland has a nearly-complete C
compiler already, and that they are merely waiting for the final draft of
the ANSI standard to come out, so they can whip theirs into shape and
kick it out the door with some sort of "We're the FIRST to meet the COMPLETE
ANSI standard!" type of claim.  I have no evidence of this, but it wouldn't
surprise me in the least.  I can't think of any other reason that Kahn
hasn't come out with something that so many people obviously want from him.

Brent

--

Brent Chapman
chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu

TANSTAAFL!  (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!)