[comp.lang.postscript] ImageableArea problem

tony@ajfcal.UUCP (tony field) (08/28/89)

I am using a Nec LC890 with version 47.0 of the postscript interpreter.
The Adobe NEC__470.PPD file for this printer specifies that

                *ImageableArea Letter: "24 16 599 776"

I infer that this allows me to draw an image within an area such that the
lower left corner is at (24,16) and the upper right corner is at (599,776).

If I use these coordinates to draw a box, I find that the right margin is
missing. If I place Courier 10 pitch / 12 point text in this area, I
print only 79 characters on a line - rather than the expected 80 characters.

If I use the coordinates (18,15) and (593,777), the box image is correct
and I can print Courier with 80 characters on a line.

Does this imply that the imageable area is really:

		*ImageableArea Letter: "18 15 593 777"

and that the .PPD file is invalid?    Am I doing something wrong??

The code used to generate my test box is:

	%!PS-Adobe-
	%%EndProlog
	%%Page: ? 0
	/pg save def
	/Courier findfont 12 scalefont setfont
	.01 setlinewidth
	18   15 moveto
	593  15 lineto
	593 777 lineto
	18  777 lineto
	closepath
	stroke
	showpage pg restore
	%%Trailer

Thanks...   tony...

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (08/30/89)

In article <5@ajfcal.UUCP> tony@ajfcal.UUCP (tony field) writes:
>I am using a Nec LC890 with version 47.0 of the postscript interpreter.
>The Adobe NEC__470.PPD file for this printer specifies that
>Does this imply that the imageable area is really:
>
>		*ImageableArea Letter: "18 15 593 777"
>
>and that the .PPD file is invalid?    Am I doing something wrong??

I suspect it's just that the hardware margins are off by a little
bit on that printer.  There are two things that might help.  One
is the "setmargins" operator that should be documented in your
printer documentation somewhere (it permanently adjusts the hardware
margins).  The other is the *DeviceAdjustMatrix entry in the PPD
file, which is intended to help solve problems caused by slight
differences from one marking engines engine to another (within the
same product).  Some of them actually distort the scale slightly,
too.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems