[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript previewer under Sunview

keith@sequoia.UUCP (Keith Pyle) (08/25/89)

I noted that the question was recently asked as to whether a Postscript
previewer existed for use on a Sun.  The common response was to use
NeWS for the Sun.  We have several users of Sunview (Sun OS 4.0.1) who
would like to view Postscript output before printing and we do not
have nor likely will get NeWS.  Is there a Sunview previewer, either PD
or proprietary?
Keith Pyle                                UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!execu!keith
Manager, Data Processing Services Dept.   Internet: execu!keith@cs.utexas.edu
Execucom Systems Corp.                         keith%execu.uucp@cs.utexas.edu
9442 Capitol of Texas Hwy. N.
Austin, Texas 78759                       Ma Bell: 512-346-4980

scowles@lll-lcc.UUCP (Sid Cowles) (08/26/89)

In article <644@sequoia.UUCP> keith@sequoia.UUCP (Keith Pyle) writes:
>                           ...  Is there a Sunview previewer, either PD
>or proprietary?

keith,
try xps from expo.lcs.mit.edu (18.30.0.212) or uunet.uu.net
(192.48.96.2).  i've had good success with it.
sid
s cowles                         att:  +1 415 423 0929
lawrence livermore national lab  uucp: {backbone}!lll-lcc!scowles
environmental sciences division  internet:  scowles@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
p. o. box 5507; L-451
livermore, california  94550

pusateri@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) (08/30/89)

In article <644@sequoia.UUCP> keith@sequoia.UUCP (Keith Pyle) writes:
>I noted that the question was recently asked as to whether a Postscript
>previewer existed for use on a Sun.  The common response was to use
>NeWS for the Sun.  We have several users of Sunview (Sun OS 4.0.1) who
>would like to view Postscript output before printing and we do not
>have nor likely will get NeWS.

     I don't think you understand SUN's commitment to the NeWS/X11
Server.  You see, by the next major release of the OS, all Sunview
applications will be running on top of NeWS/X11. That means you WILL
likely have NeWS whether you want it or not. Most Sun users
are running OS 4.0.3 which at one point was supposed to include
NeWS/X11. Does SUN want to comment on when the NeWS/X11 server will be
shipped? Will it retroactively be shipped to all 4.0.3 users?

     Anyway Crispin Goswell has a public domain postscript
interpreter but it is hard to compile and half of the postscript code I
tried doesn't resemble a printed page.

     On the other hand psview (a NeWS application) works very well and
the screen looks identical to a printed page.

     Don't give up on NeWS so easily. It really is quite nice and if you
have a little patience, it will be free.

Tom Pusateri

National Biomedical Simulation Resource
Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC 27710

pusateri@nbsr.mc.duke.edu

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (08/31/89)

In article <15428@duke.cs.duke.edu>, pusateri@romeo (Thomas J. Pusateri) writes:
>     I don't think you understand SUN's commitment to the NeWS/X11
>Server.  You see, by the next major release of the OS, all Sunview
>applications will be running on top of NeWS/X11. That means you WILL
>likely have NeWS whether you want it or not.

To clarify things (unofficially) I believe Sun will also provide
SunView to those people who:

	1) Don't want X, NeWS, X11/News, Xview, etc.
	2) Have limited resources on their machine (Sun 3/50, Sun 2, etc.)

They cannot FORCE someone to convert to X11/NeWS. So it will be an option.

Eventually SunView will die out, Like Sun 2's.

>     Anyway Crispin Goswell has a public domain postscript
>interpreter but it is hard to compile and half of the postscript code I
>tried doesn't resemble a printed page.

There were some patches that supposedly allows it to work in a sub-window
instead of the frame buffer.  These patches didn't work to well.

Also - it used the Hersey fonts, I believe.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crd.ge.com>   uunet!crdgw1!barnett

clh@tacitus.tfic.bc.ca (Chris Hermansen) (09/01/89)

Given that NeWS is less than CDN$200 (less than US$150??), I don't see
how anyone who wants it can be too upset with the price :-)
Our local Sun office did tell us recently (when I asked if I should buy
NeWS for 4.0.3 so I could preview troff output) that it would be
bundled in the next release of SunOS (4.1, I believe), and that if I
didn't want it in the next few weeks, I should wait...

pjb@tcom.stc.co.uk (Peter J. Bishop) (09/03/89)

In article <2578@lll-lcc.UUCP>, scowles@lll-lcc.UUCP (Sid Cowles) writes:
> try xps from expo.lcs.mit.edu (18.30.0.212) or uunet.uu.net
> (192.48.96.2).  i've had good success with it.

Could someone post the source of this to me (or the net) as I do not have
access to either of the addresses given above.

Thanks,

--
Peter Bishop.  <pjb@tcom.stc.co.uk> || ...!mcvax!ukc!stc!pjb
STC TNDD, Access Systems Engineering, 20-22 Edinburgh Way, Harlow. Essex