[comp.lang.postscript] >compaq deskpro 386/20 hard disk upgrades

m_hanft@msn.rmi.de (Matthias Hanft) (09/07/89)

  (I'm posting this answer to 3 newsgroups because the question
  appeared in comp.lang.postscript, comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d, and
  comp.sys.ibm.pc. In my own opinion, it is *not* good practice
  to send one message to more than one newsgroup.)

> davidg@uns-helios.nevada.edu (Davig Gonzales) writes:
>
>         Our company has some Compaq 386's (Deskpro 386/20 Model 60) that
> currently are running with one 60 Mb Hard Disk. My question is: can you
> upgrade the system(s) to include a second 60 Mb hard drive? I heard somewhere
> that Compaq uses their own disk controllers. Is this correct? And if so,
> does that mean that I will need a *special* hard drive? If not, what type of
> 60 Mb (or greater) hard drive could/should I get?

  I have the Compaq 386/20-60, too, and I also had some trouble
  upgrading the hard disk. Compaq's disks have a special interface
  and controller which no other computer has. So you could only use
  Compaq's own hard disks, but since you can't buy the 386/20 any more,
  you don't get such hard disks either.

  My solution was a new hard disk (150 MB from NEC) with a new
  ESDI controller board (which also handles the floppy disk).
  This works well in the 386/20. (And was much cheaper than
  an original Compaq hard disk!!!)

  I have put the old 60 MB disk into my other Compaq (it's a 386/16)
  as second disk. You just use the existing 40-pin-cable for "daisy
  chaining"; you only have to remove the (only) existing jumper from
  the second disk.

  So, I suggest to take half of your 60 MB disks and install them
  as second disk in the other half of your Compaqs; and buy complete
  new controller and hard disks for the one half of your Compaqs.

  Matthias Hanft (m_hanft@msn.rmi.de)