[comp.lang.postscript] Wanted: Postscript to Sun rasterfile converter

hayes@stsci.EDU (Jeff Hayes) (09/06/89)

Does anyone out on the net know of a PostScript to Sun rasterfile
converter?  I would like to trnslate a PostScript file into the
Sun rasterfile format.  Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jeffrey Hayes

Jeffrey J.E. Hayes                    | AT&T:    (301) 338-4936
3700 San Martin Drive                 | Internet:  hayes@stsci.edu
Baltimore MD 21218                    | SPAN:  SCIVAX::HAYES
Usual disclaimers apply.

paul@ppgbms (Paul Evan Matz) (09/09/89)

In article <735@ghost.stsci.edu> hayes@stsci.EDU (Jeff Hayes) writes:

>Does anyone out on the net know of a PostScript to Sun rasterfile
>converter?

NeWS provides all the tools to do just what you want.  I'm sure someone
out there may have a simple script that creates a canvas,
renders an image based on an input postscript file, and writes the
image to a raster format file.  The NeWS/postscript extension
writecanvas instruction does the translation from canvas to raster
file operation in a single line of code (with the slight side
effect that the NeWS server is locked while the operation executes).

The real trick is creating a canvas of the appropriate pixel
density/resolution.  Depends on what you want to do with the
raster file.  If you want to print it, then you might want to
match the dot density of your output device.  This is what
hung us up for the longest time.

	Regards,

	Paul Matz
	PPG Biomedical Systems