[comp.lang.postscript] Are there any 'real' fonts available?

ath@helios.prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (07/19/89)

I have been looking for real types for PostScript printers, but not
found any.  I'd appreciate any pointers or ideas you may have.

I need:

1) Real small capitals.  Standard caps in a smaller size won't do.

2) Old style digits. (2 should be as high as an s, 3 and 5 should
   be as deep as j).

I would like to have:

3) Old-fashioned sorts. Like 'ct' and 'st' ligatures, old-fashioned 's'.

A Caslon (or perhaps Bembo or Jenson) with all this would be perfect,
although I would like to hear of anything with small caps and old
style digits.

Do you know of any typeface that may fit this description?
--
Anders Thulin, Programsystem AB, Teknikringen 2A, S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden
ath@prosys.se   {uunet,mcvax}!sunic!prosys!ath

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (07/21/89)

In article <440@helios.prosys.se> ath@helios.prosys.se (Anders Thulin) writes:
>I have been looking for real types for PostScript printers, but not
>found any.  I'd appreciate any pointers or ideas you may have.
>
>I need:
>
>1) Real small capitals.  Standard caps in a smaller size won't do.
>
>2) Old style digits. (2 should be as high as an s, 3 and 5 should
>   be as deep as j).
>
>I would like to have:
>
>3) Old-fashioned sorts. Like 'ct' and 'st' ligatures, old-fashioned 's'.

I think the new "Adobe Originals" collection will help.  In particular,
the new Adobe Garamond font and Utopia, both designed at Adobe, contain:

    * ff fi fl ffi ffl ligatures
    * small capitals
    * old style digits
    * alternates (swash capitals, ornaments, alternative letters)
    * superior letters: a,b,d,e,i,l,m,n,o,r,s,t
    * titling capitals (for use at larger point sizes, as in display)
    * miscellaneous: symbols, punctuation, dot leaders, etc.

Call 1-88-83-FONTS to get a copy of the "Font and Function" catalog
for more details....

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

jmr@nada.kth.se (Jan Michael Rynning) (07/24/89)

In article <1006@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.COM (Glenn Reid) writes:
>I think the new "Adobe Originals" collection will help.  In particular,
>the new Adobe Garamond font and Utopia, both designed at Adobe, contain:
>
>    * ff fi fl ffi ffl ligatures
>    * small capitals
>    * old style digits
>    * alternates (swash capitals, ornaments, alternative letters)
>    * superior letters: a,b,d,e,i,l,m,n,o,r,s,t
>    * titling capitals (for use at larger point sizes, as in display)
>    * miscellaneous: symbols, punctuation, dot leaders, etc.

Are the small capitals of these fonts the tradititional type of small
capitals, i.e. with a height equal to the normal x-height of the font?

Do they have a sufficiently large set of mathematical symbols, or are
we supposed to use Lucida (or Knuth's Computer Modern) for mathematical
typesetting?  Does Lucida have all the things mentioned above?

>Call 1-88-83-FONTS to get a copy of the "Font and Function" catalog
>for more details....

Hmmm...  I only have digits on my telephone dial.  How do the letters
map to digits?

Jan Michael Rynning,			jmr@nada.kth.se
Department of Numerical Analysis	If you can't fully handle domains:
  and Computing Science,		ARPA: jmr%nada.kth.se@uunet.uu.net
Royal Institute of Technology,		UUCP: {uunet,mcvax,...}!nada.kth.se!jmr
S-100 44 Stockholm,			BITNET: jmr@sekth
Sweden.					Phone: +46-8-7906288

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (07/25/89)

In article <1339@draken.nada.kth.se> jmr@nada.kth.se (Jan Michael Rynning) writes:
>In article <1006@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.COM (Glenn Reid) writes:
>>I think the new "Adobe Originals" collection will help.  In particular,
>>the new Adobe Garamond font and Utopia, both designed at Adobe, contain:
>
>Are the small capitals of these fonts the tradititional type of small
>capitals, i.e. with a height equal to the normal x-height of the font?

Yes, they are traditional small caps.

>Do they have a sufficiently large set of mathematical symbols, or are
>we supposed to use Lucida (or Knuth's Computer Modern) for mathematical
>typesetting?  Does Lucida have all the things mentioned above?

No.  Mathematical symbols have not been part of traditional typefaces,
and Adobe's new "Expert Character Sets" are intended for high-quality
typography, not mathematical typesetting.  Lucida was not designed
at Adobe, and although it has a full character set, I don't think it
matches the new expert set.  Better look in the catalog to be sure
of what it contains.

>>Call 1-88-83-FONTS to get a copy of the "Font and Function" catalog
>>for more details....
>
>Hmmm...  I only have digits on my telephone dial.  How do the letters
>map to digits?

Sorry about that.  How North-America-centric of me.  Besides, I got
the phone number wrong.  Here's what it should be:

	1-800-833-6687

Font & Function really is a great catalog, and it will answer most or
all of your font questions, provide type samples, character set
information, and whatever else you might be curious about.

Thanks for your interest.  Sorry about the phone number.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

P.S.  Oh, just in case you're curious, here is how (on American phones)
the letters map to digits:

	 1    2    3   		Two letters are absent: Q and Z.
	     ABC  DEF
	 4    5    6
	GHI  JKL  MNO
	 7    8    9
	PRS  TUV  WXY
	 *    0    #

Everybody over here uses these cute mappings when they pick
phone numbers, hoping that the numbers will be more mnemonic.
Unfortunately, although they are easier to remember, they are
a lot harder to dial.
---

webber@utstat.uucp (Bob Webber) (07/25/89)

At the risk of jamming the net with trivia, the replacement of the letters
in the Adobe order desk number with digits doesn't help even Canadians, let
alone Swedes: toll-free numbers don't work internationally, with
rare exceptions.  It would be more useful if Glenn Reid (or somebody else
at Adobe) posted a good, direct, toll-charged telephone number for voice
of fax.  Also, please note that people beyond this continent have to put
something before the area code other than a "1".

For those of us with limited telephone budgets, the most useful information
of all is a paper mail or electronic mail address.

Thanks.
--
Bob Webber, Office of the Dean of Arts and Science, University of Toronto
Internet: webber@artsci.toronto.edu; webber@utstat.toronto.edu

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (07/25/89)

In article <1012@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.COM (Glenn Reid) writes:
> Font & Function [will] provide type samples

	I've always wondered about the type samples.  Who picks the silly
little bits of text used in the type samples?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (07/26/89)

In article <1989Jul25.020422.8590@utstat.uucp> webber@utstat.toronto.edu (Bob Webber) writes:
>rare exceptions.  It would be more useful if Glenn Reid (or somebody else
>at Adobe) posted a good, direct, toll-charged telephone number for voice
>of fax.  Also, please note that people beyond this continent have to put
>For those of us with limited telephone budgets, the most useful information
>of all is a paper mail or electronic mail address.

Here's the latest list of phone numbers and addresses:

Adobe Systems Incorporated - Headquarters
1585 Charleston Road
Mountain View, CA 94039-7900
(415) 961-4400
Fax: (415) 961-3769
US & Canada: 800-344-8335
Developer Support: 415-961-4111
Customer Support: 415-961-0911

Adobe Systems Incorporated - Boston
One New England
Exectutive Park
Burlington, MA 01803
(617) 273-2120
Fax: (617) 273-2336

Adobe Systems Europe B.V.
World Trade Center B-7
Strawinskylaan 631
1077 XX Amsterdam
Netherlands
31-30-575-3193
Fax: 31-20-575-3124

Adobe Systems Japan
Aoyama Dai ichi Tanaka Bldg
2-1-5 Shibuya
Shibuya-ku
Tokyo 150, Japan
03-486-4656
Fax: 03-486-4654

Hope these help. For technical support on an Adobe product, you can call (the
best way), or send a letter. If you have access to CompuServe, you can also
go to the Adobe forum for help. If you are a European customer, you can
make orders and get technical support by calling Adobe Europe, similar
for Adobe Japan.

This information is from the back of Adobe publications, like the PostScript
Products brochure. Any typos are probably my fault.

----
Brian Bezanson

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (07/30/89)

In article <1012@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.COM (Glenn Reid) writes:

>Sorry about that.  How North-America-centric of me.  Besides, I got
>the phone number wrong.  Here's what it should be:
>
>	1-800-833-6687

Speaking of which ... it would be *real* *nice* is vendors provided
a "straight" phone number that's guaranteed to work from outside the
U.S.  In most cases, 800 numbers don't work outside the continental
United States.

Actually, I'm impressed that this number works from Canada! Most don't ...
--
Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
    {alberta,decwrl,ncc}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA

                 It's 2:00 A.M.; Nobody looks ugly.

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (08/01/89)

In article <694@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>In article <1012@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.COM (Glenn Reid) writes:
>
>>Sorry about that.  How North-America-centric of me.  Besides, I got
>>the phone number wrong.  Here's what it should be:
>>
>>	1-800-833-6687
>
>Speaking of which ... it would be *real* *nice* is vendors provided
>a "straight" phone number that's guaranteed to work from outside the
>U.S.  In most cases, 800 numbers don't work outside the continental
>United States.

Sigh.  Here I thought I was being helpful by providing the toll-free
number (that's what the "800" area code means, to those of you who
are not familiar with the U.S. phone system).  I will certainly provide
the expensive long-distance number in the future, as well.  I have no
idea how to call here  from wherever you are, so you must supply the
appropriate prefixes, if any, to these numbers.  To refresh people's
memories, you can call to get a copy of the "Font & Function" font
catalog from Adobe:

	Adobe Systems:
	    In U.S.:	1-800-83-FONTS
	    Europe:	31-20-575-3193	(Amsterdam)
	    Elsewhere:	415-961-4400

I hope I've gotten it right this time.  Sorry to bother everybody with
this trivia.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (08/26/89)

I'm curious.  Even if the font supports ligatures, are there any
software packages that will recognize that a ligature should be used?
Or do you have to specifically type (using some option-shift modifier)
the ligature in place of the letter combination?

-Fred

| Fred Hollander                 |                                           |
| Computer Science Center        |     "Ha ha ha ha ha ha, Ah what a day!"   |
| Texas Instruments, Inc.        |             -- Joker                      |
| Internet:    hollander@ti.com  |                                           |
| Telnet:      214/995-0696      |  The above statements are my own and not  |
| AppleLink:   D1392             |  representative of Texas Instruments.     |

ralerche@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Robert A. Lerche) (08/26/89)

Sprint, from Borland, does automatic ligature support (fi, fl) as well as
making open and close double quotes, (C) -> copyright symbol, etc.  These
are in a file you can edit if you want to add your own or change theirs.

halliday@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Laura Halliday) (08/26/89)

In article <HOLLAND.89Aug25144558@m2.csc.ti.com> holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) writes:

>I'm curious.  Even if the font supports ligatures, are there any
>software packages that will recognize that a ligature should be used?
>Or do you have to specifically type (using some option-shift modifier)
>the ligature in place of the letter combination?

Now you know why I use TeX for things that really matter, all round pain that
it is in so many other respects. I also use it because it does kerns auto-
matically, has very smart hyphenation and justifies a paragraph at a time
rather than a line at a time.

Personally, I'd like to see a WYSIWYG processor that did all of this. It
wouldn't be hard - the hardest part of it is the paragraph justification.
It's a little bit more involved than cramming words onto a line until you
come to one that won't fit...

...laura

diomidis@ecrcvax.UUCP (Diomidis Spinellis) (08/28/89)

In article <HOLLAND.89Aug25144558@m2.csc.ti.com> holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) writes:

>I'm curious.  Even if the font supports ligatures, are there any
>software packages that will recognize that a ligature should be used?
>Or do you have to specifically type (using some option-shift modifier)
>the ligature in place of the letter combination?

Ditroff supports ligatures:

miranda6% echo affluent | ditroff | psdit | tail
				% Postscript output for the first page;
				% (Prologue ommited)
%%Page: 1 1
10 s 10 xH 0 xS 1 f
576 96(af\257uent)N		% affluent
%	 ----			(The fl ligature for Times-Roman)
1 p
%%Trailer

>-Fred
Diomidis
--
Diomidis Spinellis          European Computer-Industry Research Centre (ECRC)
Arabellastrasse 17, D-8000 Muenchen 81, West Germany        +49 (89) 92699199

msb@sq.sq.com (Mark Brader) (08/29/89)

> I'm curious.  Even if the font supports ligatures, are there any
> software packages that will recognize that a ligature should be used?

Yes, troff can automatically generate ligatures for the letter sequences
ff, ffi, ffl, fi, and fl.  There is a user-level command to disable
three-letter ligatures or all ligatures if desired.

Our version, sold as part of SoftQuad Publishing Software, can be configured
at font-table level to disable any specific ligatures that don't exist.
(This is the least of its features, but I'd better not make this too much
of an advertisement.  If you're interested, call (800) 387-2777 from the
USA, or +1 416 963 8337, or mail to mail@sq.com.  Of course we support
PostScript.)

--
Mark Brader			"'You wanted it to WORK?  That costs EXTRA!'
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto		 is probably the second-place security hole

This article is in the public domain.

jaap+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jaap Akkerhuis) (08/29/89)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.lang.postscript: 28-Aug-89 Re: Are there any
> 'real' fo.. Mark Brader@sq.sq.com (953)

> Yes, troff can automatically generate ligatures for the letter sequences
> ff, ffi, ffl, fi, and fl.  There is a user-level command to disable
> three-letter ligatures or all ligatures if desired.

> Our version, sold as part of SoftQuad Publishing Software, can be
> configured
> at font-table level to disable any specific ligatures that don't exist.

There is nothing special about that. All versions of troff can do that.

> (This is the least of its features, but I'd better not make this too much
> of an advertisement.  If you're interested,

Somehow it looks like a blatent advertisement to me anyway. I cannot
wait until Proficient, Elan and anybody else selling troff take this
opportunity to tell the net that they have this feature as well, support
PostScript and by the way, here is the number...

	jaap

jimi@h-three.UUCP (jimi) (09/01/89)

In article <761@ecrcvax.UUCP>, diomidis@ecrcvax.UUCP (D. Spinellis) writes:
> In article <HOLLAND.89Aug25144558@m2.csc.ti.com> holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) writes:
> >Even if the font supports ligatures, are there any software packages
> >that will recognize that a ligature should be used?

> Ditroff supports ligatures:

> miranda6% echo affluent | ditroff | psdit | tail
> 				% Postscript output for the first page;
> 				% (Prologue ommited)
> %%Page: 1 1
> 10 s 10 xH 0 xS 1 f
> 576 96(af\257uent)N		% affluent
> %	 ----			(The fl ligature for Times-Roman)
> 1 p
> %%Trailer

ditroff has a ligature mode that can be turned on and off.
When ligature mode (set by an argument to the .li request) is on,
ditroff attempts to set ligatures. In the case of Adobe's fonts,
however, ditroff can only set the ligatures available in the font.

In the preceding example, "affluent" should not contain an "fl"
ligature. Rather, it should contain an "ffl" ligature.
I've wondered why Abobe's otherwise skilled typeface designers
consider the "ff," "ffi," and "ffl" ligatures unnecessary.

To see the difference, typeset the following words (with your
equivalent of ligature mode on, of course) on a PostScript
typesetter and a typesetter that provides a complete f-ligature
set, e.g., Compugraphic 8400: official, efficient, affiant,
effacing, affective, effective, iffy, affluent, effluvium,
effloresce, afflux. Times Roman and equivalents are excellent
test fonts.

The words set in the font with the complete f-ligature set look
much smoother. The f[f-ligature] words look like they have bumps
in them, bumps that distract the eyes and call unwelcome attention
to word's components.

This isn't to praise Compugraphic, in particular, though their fonts
are very good, but to pick on Adobe's type designers, whose incomplete
f-ligature sets detract from their otherwise fine fonts. I'm curious
about why they made this decision.
--
Jim Ingram	          uunet!h-three!jimi | jimi%h-three@uunet.uu.net
h-three Systems Corporation   P.O. Box 12557 RTP NC 27709   919 549 8334

msb@sq.sq.com (Mark Brader) (09/02/89)

I wrote:
> > Our version [of troff] can be configured at font-table
> > level to disable any specific ligatures that don't exist.

Jaap Akkerhuis chastised:
> There is nothing special about that. All versions of troff can do that.

And he's right, at least for sufficiently modern ("ditroff") versions.
The trouble is that I'm more familiar with esoterica like this in our
version than in others, and I somehow got to thinking that this *was*
one of our enhancements.  My apologies.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto		"But I do't have a '' key o my termial."
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com				   -- Lynn Gold

This article is in the public domain.

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (09/03/89)

In article <724@h-three.UUCP> jimi@h-three.UUCP (jimi) writes:
>In the preceding example, "affluent" should not contain an "fl"
>ligature. Rather, it should contain an "ffl" ligature.
>I've wondered why Abobe's otherwise skilled typeface designers
>consider the "ff," "ffi," and "ffl" ligatures unnecessary.
>
>This isn't to praise Compugraphic, in particular, though their fonts
>are very good, but to pick on Adobe's type designers, whose incomplete
>f-ligature sets detract from their otherwise fine fonts. I'm curious
>about why they made this decision.

In the beginning, Adobe converted other peoples' type to PostScript
form.  These fonts did not have ffl or ffi ligatures in them (at
least that is my understanding), so the PostScript fonts didn't.

The original subject of the "any real fonts available?" question
was exactly that:  are there any Adobe fonts that do have ligatures?
The answer is yes; the new Adobe fonts have what is called the
"expert character set", which contains lots of goodies like small
caps, alternates, old-style numbers, more ligatures, etc.  Take a
look at Adobe Garamond, for instance.

Unfortunately, the discussion quickly degenerated into a discussion
of 800 phone numbers and why they can't be accessed outside North
America, so it may have gotten lost in the noise.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

milun@sybil.cs.buffalo.edu (Davin Milun) (09/14/89)

jimi@h-three.UUCP (jimi) writes:
> diomidis@ecrcvax.UUCP (D. Spinellis) writes:
>> Ditroff supports ligatures:
>
>> miranda6% echo affluent | ditroff | psdit | tail
>> 				% Postscript output for the first page;
>> 				% (Prologue ommited)
>> %%Page: 1 1
>> 10 s 10 xH 0 xS 1 f
>> 576 96(af\257uent)N		% affluent
>> %	 ----			(The fl ligature for Times-Roman)
>> 1 p
>> %%Trailer
>
> In the case of Adobe's fonts,
>however, ditroff can only set the ligatures available in the font.
>
>In the preceding example, "affluent" should not contain an "fl"
>ligature. Rather, it should contain an "ffl" ligature.
>I've wondered why Abobe's otherwise skilled typeface designers
>consider the "ff," "ffi," and "ffl" ligatures unnecessary.

On our system, I obtain the following results:

echo affluent | ditroff -Tps -D | tail

	% Much large header/prologue removed
	10 R
	10 R
	120 V
	720(a)S
	764 H
		(f)show 10 -.5 mul h (\257)show
	10 R
	848(uent)S
	7920 V
	EP
	%%Trailer
	%%DocumentFonts: Times-Roman
	%%Pages: 1

This shows that ditroff (which in our case is really a shell-script
which adds arguments, calls troff, and pipes results through the
required filters) can do better than falling back on Adobe's lack of
three character ligatures.

Davin Milun    Internet:  milun@cs.Buffalo.EDU
               uucp:      ..!{boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!milun
               BITNET:    milun@sunybcs.BITNET