[comp.lang.postscript] IBM PagePrinter II???

todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) (09/13/89)

Has anyone in netland used the IBM PagePrinter II much?  I just tested the
Model 30 (am waiting to test the newer Model 31) last week and would like
to check on a few things...

1. A number of full text pages (text in all rows and columns for a given
typeface) had chopped letters on the edges.  I never saw anything like that
happen on the Apple LaserWriters (NT and NTX) I used to use.

2. Black areas (e.g., blackened bars) were not a solid black.  The areas
were very splotchy looking.  I acknowledge that this might be due to a bad
toner or inappropriate paper (don't recall what kind of paper we used for
the test).

I'm tempted to buy the printer just to get a Postscript printer with a
parallel port.  However, the problems mentioned above make me very hesitant
to purchase the PPII...
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (09/14/89)

In article <4836@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>Has anyone in netland used the IBM PagePrinter II much?  I just tested the
>Model 30 (am waiting to test the newer Model 31) last week and would like
>to check on a few things...
>
>1. A number of full text pages (text in all rows and columns for a given
>typeface) had chopped letters on the edges.  I never saw anything like that
>happen on the Apple LaserWriters (NT and NTX) I used to use.
>
>2. Black areas (e.g., blackened bars) were not a solid black.  The areas
>were very splotchy looking.  I acknowledge that this might be due to a bad
>toner or inappropriate paper (don't recall what kind of paper we used for
>the test).
>
>I'm tempted to buy the printer just to get a Postscript printer with a
>parallel port.  However, the problems mentioned above make me very hesitant
>to purchase the PPII...
>--
>Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
>UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd
>ARPA:		uhccux!todd@nosc.MIL		BITNET: todd@uhccux
>INTERNET:	todd@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU <==I'm told this rarely works

I had one for a couple of weeks, mainly to test the AppleTalk capabilities.
I would say that it passed all my printing tests, from Mac stuff to Unix
stuff to pure PostScript stuff.

I don't remember what exact model it was, and I didn't notice any cut off
edges on the stuff I did, but I was looking for it either.  But contrary
to your experience, the blacks were very solid.

The only real complains I had was that the machine I used did seem to make
more noise that a LaserWriter, sort of squeeky or grindy sounds.  Also, the
paper tray is a bit flimsy and doesn't have a manual feed like the NT(X)
that adjusts for envelopes.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (09/14/89)

In article <4836@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:

>Has anyone in netland used the IBM PagePrinter II much?  I just tested the
>Model 30 (am waiting to test the newer Model 31) last week and would like
>to check on a few things...

>I'm tempted to buy the printer just to get a Postscript printer with a
>parallel port.  However, the problems mentioned above make me very hesitant
>to purchase the PPII...

Then why don't you consider the QMS PS-810? It has parallel, serial (up
to 56 Kbps, I believe; we use it at 38.4 Kbps) and appletalk connectors.

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB