[comp.lang.postscript] DVI to postscript converters...

BILLW@MATHOM.CISCO.COM (William Westfield) (09/13/89)

Is there a newer version of a DVI to Postscript converter out there
anywhere?  The version I have seen was originally by Mark Senn, and
modified by several other people.  In addition to being somewhat limited,
it is pretty painfully slow.

Ideally, I would like to get something that supports GF fonts (I have
the version from Stanford, but for example, the version on uunet
doesn't seem to have GF support in it) AND printers with resolutions
other than 300dpi (eg linotronics).  Sources would be nice (I'd like
to run it on tops20, which will require some work), but comercial
packages (running on Suns) would also be considered if they are
sufficiently wonderful.

Thanks
Bill Westfield
cisco Systems.
billw@cisco.com

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (09/14/89)

   Is there a newer version of a DVI to Postscript converter out there
   anywhere?  The version I have seen was originally by Mark Senn, and
you could look at `dvitops', by James Clark, available from the UK TeX
archive, which is written in portable C (well, it compiles on a PC as
well as a Sun!) - it doesn't support gf (only pk), but it is efficient
and has lots of good features. mail `help' to tex-server@aston.ac.uk with the
first line of the message as your return address, and you should get
info (this assumes dvitops is not in the USA somewhere, as it ought to
be). Else try Stephan von Bechtolsheim's dvitps, which is on the
current Unix TeX tape, and therefore presumably at Washington for FTP

--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (09/15/89)

From article <SPQR.89Sep14091859@hilliard.ecs.soton.ac.uk>, by spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz):
"
"    Is there a newer version of a DVI to Postscript converter out there
"    anywhere?

Yes.  A version of dvi2ps by Piet van Oostrum has some useful
new features.  I will have yet another version soon -- I'm working
out what I hope are the last few bugs.

Following is an excerpt from the README of van Oostrum's version,
and after that some notes on getting it by ftp.

			Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
	---------
Notes by Piet van Oostrum:

I added support for BSD4.1 and changed the dvi2ps program to read PK files
rather than PXL files (the files are generated by the Metafont Utilities).
I also added code to calculate VM usage. The program does not download fonts
if the VM is low. In that case individual bitmaps are loaded on a character
basis and removed immediately after printing. I also restructured the DVI.PS
file to improve the VM usage.

To use the VM limiting feature compile with -DBUDGET=estimated VM value in
bytes.
To use builtin fonts compile with -DBUILTIN.
You can then define the fonts e.g. with \font\palatino=p-rom at 12pt
See the file palatino.sty for equivalent latex style options.

This version allows you to put the PXL or PK files in a different directory
than the tfm files. In that case if you use the TEXFONTS environment
variable, you must specify both directories in it.

Note added by Matt Crawford:

A patch sent by Piet van Oostrum on 14 Sep 1987 has been applied
to dvi2ps.c.
	----------
listing of directory pub on oddjob.uchicago.edu:
Connected to oddjob.uchicago.edu.
220 oddjob FTP server (Version 4.172 Fri Dec 2 14:11:17 CST 1988) ready.
-rw-r--r--  1 matt     wheel      130781 Jun 29 12:05 dist.2.0.tar.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 matt     wheel       95621 Sep 14  1987 dvi2ps.pk.tar.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 matt     wheel      501760 Jan  5  1988 elxsi-rpc.tar

pjt@yin.cpac.washington.edu (Larry Setlow) (09/15/89)

From: rokicki@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki)
Newsgroups: comp.text
Subject: dvips 4.0
Date: 15 Sep 89 03:55:09 GMT
Sender: USENET News System <news@Polya.Stanford.EDU>

ANNOUNCING RELEASE of dvips version 4.0, with the following features:

	- `Correct' memory budgeting; no longer have to break up
		long documents by hand
	- Bitmap font compression on output greatly reduces output
		file size, especially at typesetter resolution
	- Fast and compact page code reduces size of output file
	- Encapsulated PostScript graphics support
	- Non-encapsulated PostScript graphics support
	- PostScript font support, with correct use of ligatures
		and kerns and TeX character positions.
	- Brand new afm2tfm source provided
	- Automatic generation of missing fonts through METAFONT
		(or can be modified to convert gf->pk as needed)
	- Conformant PostScript output
	- Automatic spooling through lpr or other process
	- Support for multiple printers with different characteristics
	- Literal PostScript specials and macros
	- Generation of collated as well as uncollated copies
	- Reversal of pages on demand
	- Compact, modular source code for easy modifications
	- Freely redistributable
	- Easy installation
	- psfig and tpic support

The most important new feature is the bitmap compression feature; you
can now generate files for high-resolution typesetters using standard
TeX bitmapped fonts without generating impossibly large output files.

This code is available from labrea.stanford.edu in ~pub/dvips40.tar.Z.

ralph@nastassia.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (09/19/89)

In article <4861@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
|  From article <SPQR.89Sep14091859@hilliard.ecs.soton.ac.uk>, by spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz):
|  "
|  "    Is there a newer version of a DVI to Postscript converter out there
|  "    anywhere?
|
|  Yes.  A version of dvi2ps by Piet van Oostrum has some useful
|  new features.  I will have yet another version soon -- I'm working
|  out what I hope are the last few bugs.
|
|  Following is an excerpt from the README of van Oostrum's version,
|  and after that some notes on getting it by ftp.

Oh my god!!  Another version?!!  I hope that there is someone to
coordinate all these versions.  We alone have 3 versions of dvi2ps.
Normally the most recent has 2.11 as version number.

|  Notes by Piet van Oostrum:
|
|  I added support for BSD4.1 and changed the dvi2ps program to read PK files
|  rather than PXL files (the files are generated by the Metafont Utilities).

It's a shame that Piet van Oostrum did not add his interesting
modifications to the latest dvi2ps!  For example, dvi2ps already
accepts PK and GF font files and in seperate directories.

Is someone (Piet?) willing to create dvi2ps 2.12?  Maybe, it already exists.

Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.
ralph@laas.uucp, or ...!uunet!mcvax!laas!ralph		If all else fails, try:
SOBEK@FRMOP11.BITNET				      sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU
Upon the instruments of death the sunlight brightly gleams.   --   King Crimson

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (09/20/89)

From article <426@laas.laas.fr>, by ralph@nastassia.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek):
"
" Oh my god!!  Another version?!!  I hope that there is someone to
" coordinate all these versions.  We alone have 3 versions of dvi2ps.
" Normally the most recent has 2.11 as version number.

Well, it is confusing.  Van Oostrum's version is numerated 2.30,
but from what you say, I would guess it does not have 2.11 in it's
lineage.  I didn't know there was a version that reads GF files -- is
there a place I can get that by ftp separate from the entire
TeX distribution?

On a related topic, I got mail from Mike Finegan about troubles
getting dvi2ps to work on a 3B2.  I couldn't get a reply to him,
and don't know about dvi2ps on SysV anyhow, but maybe someone
else can help him --
	michael k finegan <Mike.Finegan@UC.EDU>
	mfinegan@uceng.UC.EDU
	finegan@aicvo1.ece.UC.EDU

				-- Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (09/21/89)

From article <426@laas.laas.fr>, by ralph@nastassia.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek):
"
" Oh my god!!  Another version?!!  ...

Yes, well, my version is ready in case anyone is interested.
Here is a list of ways in which it _may_ differ from other
extant versions:

1. It uses pk or pxl font files, or a combination of the
two.  (Not gf files, though.)

2. It will use pk fonts with up to 256 characters (as one
finds in Silvio Levy's Greek fonts and JTeX, though I
haven't tested dvi2ps with JTeX yet).

3. PS fonts native to the printer are ok, too.  This dvi2ps
does not keep track of what fonts may or may not be
available inside the printer nor of character widths
in those fonts.  It just passes the info it finds in
the dvi file about names and positioning right through
to its output ps file.

4. The size of the output is somewhat smaller and PS
interpretation time somewhat faster than for the other
versions of dvi2ps that I've seen.  As suggested in Glenn
Reid's PS Program Language Design, characters are
collected into long strings with space characters and
submitted to widthshow.  (dvips 4.0 does a nice job
at optimizing PS output, but it doesn't do this particular
optimization.)

5. In calling dvi2ps, flags and flag arguments work in
a more standard way (e.g. `dvi2ps -hs -n10 some' is an
acceptable way to ask for 10 copies, no header, and
statistics, as well as `dvi2ps -h -s -n 10 some').

6. \special texts with no keywords are sent literally to the LW
(instead of being interpreted as a list of files to include).

7. There is no longer a header .ps file to be kept in a
library directory somewhere.  The header code is compiled
into dvi2ps.  The source for the header code, tex.ps,
may contain #ifdefs.

		------------
The thing is in 4 shar files, 161k.  Email me if you
want a copy.

			Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (09/22/89)

In article <426@laas.laas.fr>, ralph@nastassia (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:
 `In article <4861@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
 `|  From article <SPQR.89Sep14091859@hilliard.ecs.soton.ac.uk>, by spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz):
 `|  "
 `|  "    Is there a newer version of a DVI to Postscript converter out there
 `|  "    anywhere?
 `|

 `

 `It's a shame that Piet van Oostrum did not add his interesting
 `modifications to the latest dvi2ps!  For example, dvi2ps already
 `accepts PK and GF font files and in seperate directories.
 `
 `Is someone (Piet?) willing to create dvi2ps 2.12?  Maybe, it already exists.
 `

Let me first tell, what I know about dvi2ps genealogy and how I got involved.
I started working on dvi2ps in May 1986, so my version has been around for
a resonable time. When we started using TeX, I encountered a couple of
problems:

1. We were using a VAX11/750 with Unix BSD 4.1. Our system manager didn't
want to switch to 4.2, and the dvi2ps I found on the Unix tape didn't work
on 4.1, so I had to patch the program anyway.

2. Our disk was almost full and couldn't take all of the PXL files, which
was the only font format supproted then by the supplied dvi2ps. So I
decided to add support for PK files. I think it is silly to use PXL files,
anyway. I just coded the algorithms from pktype into dvi2ps.

3. I found it very annoying that the LaserWriter run out of Virtual Memory
after 30-40 pages (sometimes even after a single page, if you had many
fonts. I think I really got upset when I wanted to print fontsamples of the
supplied fonts and couldn't get a page with every line a different font. So
I added code that estimated how much memory was left in the LW, and if a
certain threshold was reached, no more characters were downloaded, but they
were printed on an individual basis. This has been very satisfactory
because we never run out of VM anymore. I also looked very carefully in the
supplied Postcript code and found a number of places where extra
save/restore pairs could decrease the amount of VM used.

These were the basic initial changes I made (along with a number of minor
cleanups).

Later I added code to use Postscript fonts. I got this code from somebody
else, integrated it, cleaned it up and made it easily parametrizable.
The other changes were just useful options and bug changes.

I have advertised the availability of my version on TeXhax, and a more
recent version on comp.text. Several people in Europe, USA and Australia
have received copies. My own version is now 2.48, and I have a few bug
patches waiting.

Apparently, other people were also working on different modifications of
dvi2ps. The versions of dvi2ps that float around, form a Directed Acyclic
Graph (actually, I'm not sure that it is acyclic :=).
The basic problem, I think, was that there was no means of finding out who
did what. TeXhax was the only way I had to find out what was going on.
There has been a discussion on merging the various versions of dvi2ps on
Texhax, and once it seemed that somebody was going to make a single version
with all the enhancements in it, but apparently that failed (I got this
info from Pierre MacKay)

I am not going to defend the fact that I have maintained a separate version
of dvi2ps. In fact when I saw the announcement of dvi2ps 4.0 by Tomas G.
Rokicki, I decided that it would be time to discontinue development of my
version. I have not yet seen his version (I can't FTP yet, so I have to
find it some other way). If it does have everything I need (and I suspect
it does) I will probably switch to his version. I will put the final bug
patches in my version, and I will spuuly it to anyone who wants it, but I
suggest that we agree on a single supported standard version of dvi2ps.
There seems to be also a version called dvitps by Stephan von Bechtolsheim,
but I don't know anything about it. Maybe these two gentlemen could even
agree on merging their programs? From what I have read these persons have
done a very good job.

The best way to standardize in my opinion is to keep the standard version up
to date on the Unix tape, and to distribute patches on Usenet or through a
mailing list.

I am willing to give my code, suggestions, etc to get a good standard
version, but I'm not going to reinvent the wheel. That is the primary
reason for me to stop enhancing dvi2ps 2.48.

I have cross-posted this to comp.text to get a greater audience, but
followups only to comp.lang.postscript. Should I also send something to
teXhax for those poor people without net.access?
--
Piet van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht,  The Netherlands.

In article <1594@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl>, I (Piet van Oostrum) wrote:
 `of dvi2ps. In fact when I saw the announcement of dvi2ps 4.0 by Tomas G.
 `Rokicki,
                                                    ^^^^ Sorry, make that dvips
Also spuuly meant supply.

Piet

kevin@math.lsa.umich.edu (Kevin Coombes) (09/22/89)

Okay, here goes. I've spent the last few weeks working on merging several
versions of dvi2ps---namely, the three versions available at the
june.cs.washington.edu archive, by Larry Denenberg, Peter Damron, and
Jing-bai Wang. I also have Van Jacobson's version. I have a copy of
Tomas Rokicki's version 4.0 of dvips, but haven't yet had a chance to
look at it. The merge isn't yet complete, nor is it ready for general
consumption. Right now, it can use PK, GF, or PXL files (with the available
choices set at compile time), allows flexible organization of font
directories and supports environment variables to help with this. It
searches for fonts in a reasonable manner, and will use postscript to
rescale fonts if it can't find them in the right size. It supports
various specials, including psfig.

The point is: I'm willing to invest some more time in producing
version 3.0 (or whatever) of dvi2ps. I can see from this discussion that
there is some interest. What I'd like (by e-mail, and I'll post
summaries) is information on what other versions are available, how
to get them, and what features people most want to see. I have heard
of the following versions, but have not seen copies:
	dvitps	by Stephan von Bechtolsheim
	dvitops by James Clark
	dvi2ps  by Piet van Oostrum.
If anyone is interested in helping to produce a merged version of
dvi2ps, or in testing such a version if/when it becomes available,
I'd also appreciate hearing that.

Kevin Coombes
<kevin@math.lsa.umich.edu>
<Kevin_Coombes@ub.cc.umich.edu>

mfinegan@uceng.UC.EDU (michael k finegan) (09/28/89)

Do any of the dviXps versions work on an AT&T 3B2/400 (SysV 3.1) ? The versions
(old and new) in the distribution tape don't ...
					- Michael Finegan
					  mfinegan@uceng.UC.EDU
(please E-MAIL YES responses)