[comp.lang.postscript] ^M in PostScript files

britt@venera.isi.edu (Benjamin Britt) (10/03/89)

I've been trying to get a PostScript program of mine to correctly handle
carriage returns on the Apple LaserWriter.  Much to my dismay I've
discovered that the LaserWriter interpreter, when using serial I/O,
automatically converts carriage return (and carriage return immediately
followed by newline) to newline.

Is there a way a PostScript program can disable this translation
and read a line of input verbatim?

Thanks,

Ben

--
Benjamin Britt
USC/Information Sciences Institute

zben@umd5.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (10/04/89)

In article <9969@venera.isi.edu> britt@venera.isi.edu.UUCP (Benjamin Britt) writes:

> ...  LaserWriter interpreter, when using serial I/O,
> automatically converts carriage return (and carriage return immediately
> followed by newline) to newline.
> Is there a way a PostScript program can disable this translation
> and read a line of input verbatim?

The Diablo emulation requires the engine to distinguish between CR and LF.
This is machine dependant, but in several machines I have noticed the setup
procedure for Diablo setting a "transparent flag" in one of the system's
directories.  I suspect, however, that setting this flag will also disable
the control-D end of file stuff and the control-T status query.  You should
probably think very carefully what this means (to, say, any spooling software
you might be running) before you attempt to use this flag.

When driving the printer from Localtalk the CR mapping does not happen.
I have seen a Mac program that accepts jobs from a serial line and puts them
out on Localtalk.  You might not want to go this far...
--
Sig     DS.L    ('ZBen')       ; Ben Cranston <zben@Trantor.UMD.EDU>
* Computer Science Center Network Infrastructures Group