[comp.lang.postscript] PostScript Benchmarks

dirish@esunix.UUCP (Dudly Irish) (04/06/89)

We are looking into getting some faster postscript printers.  We are
primarily interested in table top printers for under $10k.  But we want them
to be faster than our current printers.  If you have any sugestions, please
email them.

However, the real point of this message is benchmarks.  We would like to
benchmark the various printers to see which is faster.  Has anyone written a
postscript benchmark?  Does anyone have any ideas as to what they think
should be tested by such a benchmark.

If you have a benchmark, please post it.

If you have a sugested test, please email it to me and I will try to include
it if I end up having to write a bench mark.

Thanks in advance,

Dudley Irish
Evans and Sutherland
(Yes, the place that postscript got started.)

howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) (04/10/89)

>However, the real point of this message is benchmarks.  We would like to
>benchmark the various printers to see which is faster.  Has anyone written a
>postscript benchmark?  Does anyone have any ideas as to what they think
>should be tested by such a benchmark.

I haven't written a benchmark, but I have used Pagemaker to give me an
idea of what kinds of things print faster/slower on a single Postscript
and HP PCL printer. So as a starting point, I'd say you want to try
three basic benchmarks:

1. Make a full-page scanned image. This is usually the most memory-intensive
   kind of page, especially if you use Gray Scale imaging from a color
   photograph.
2. Try normal text, 10 or 12 point, Helvetica or Times Roman, something
   which doesn't take much memory or page description processing. Compose
   a 10-page letter, because one page won't give you enough of a benchmark
   to really tell the difference between printers.
3. Try a page of line drawings (such as a cartoon) or headlines (fonts
   which are between 36 and 72 point). This will test the mid-range
   of memory use.

Hope this helps.

Howard Stateman, Hewlett-Packard Response Center, Mountain View, CA
howeird@hpwrc.HP.COM      or     hplabs!hpwrc!howeird
My opinions are not necessarily those of anyone or anything else
Sysop of the Anatomically Correct BBS (415) 364-3739
"Nothing can be said so correctly that it cannot be twisted."
                                               - Spinoza

bradlee@cg-atla.UUCP (Rob Bradlee) (10/10/89)

I would like to obtain or create a reasonable set of PostScript pages
for benchmarking output performance.  It seems to me that the items on
the page to vary would be number of curves, number of different fonts,
number of resident vs. non-resident fonts, image size and format (binary
vs. hex).  Any observations or suggestions you can offer on this subject
would be most welcome.

			Rob

--
Rob Bradlee  w:(508)-658-5600 X5153  h:(617)-944-5595
AGFA Compugraphic Division.    ...!{ima,ulowell,ism780c}!cg-atla!bradlee

larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) (10/11/89)

In article <7757@cg-atla.UUCP> bradlee@cg-atla.UUCP (Rob Bradlee) writes:
>I would like to obtain or create a reasonable set of PostScript pages
>for benchmarking output performance.  It seems to me that the items on
>the page to vary would be number of curves, number of different fonts,
>number of resident vs. non-resident fonts, image size and format (binary
>vs. hex).  Any observations or suggestions you can offer on this subject
>would be most welcome.

A recent issue of the Seybold Report benchmarked a bunch of high-res image-
setters (Lino, etc.), using a set of test pages.  Some had mainly text at
different sizes, others had heavy graphics, etc.  I'll bet you could get
them to send you the PS files for your own tests.  This would have the
added benefit of allowing you to compare your figures with other machines'.
I don't recall the exact issue;  it was within the last 2-3 months.  Let me
know if you can't find it.

A lot of interesting things turned up in Seybold's testing, like interpreter
memory management barfing on large grayscale images, etc.  The tests are
tortuous enough to serve as a (very informal) validation suite.

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat