Has any work been done on Crispin Goswell's PostScript interpreter (for X or
SunView) beyond the John Myers/Barry Shein patches from mid-1988?
In particular has anybody modified it to read the Adobe font files that
came with X11R3? I haven't looked very closely but the font files that
it uses seem similar enough to the BDF font files for it to be possible.

	Peter Ilieve		peter@memex.co.uk

gerry@cs.keele.ac.uk (Gerry Pratt) (10/27/89)

Peter Ilieve@memex.co.uk writes:-

> Has any work been done on Crispin Goswell's PostScript interpreter (for X or
> SunView) beyond the John Myers/Barry Shein patches from mid-1988?
> In particular has anybody modified it to read the Adobe font files that
> came with X11R3? I haven't looked very closely but the font files that
> it uses seem similar enough to the BDF font files for it to be possible.

which I think is a good question.
In May 1989 this appear in comp.lang.postscript:-

From: opus@athena.mit.edu (Mr. P. Opus)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.postscript
Subject: Re: Goswell's Postscript Interpreter
Date: 11 May 89 09:07:35 GMT
Sender: daemon@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU

A note to all those people wondering about a PostScript interpreter
for X11: There exists one, written by Crispin Goswell.  We have a
version of this interpreter here at athena, and have spent MANY hours
optimizing it.  It is currently approximately 20-200 times faster than
the version 1.4 with patches that is in general release.  We are
trying to iron out the last of the nasty bugs, and will post the
results soon (pending approval of Mr. Goswell).

This program was optimized by trained professionals using the proper
profiling equipment.  Please do not attempt this in your own home if
you value your sanity.

-David Jedlinsky
opus@athena.mit.edu
Project Athena ``Watchmaker''

so did anything appear from that posting?

We find ralpage very useful here and a faster version would be even better!

Regarding fonts I *do* use the X11R3 fonts. In the font file

	/usr/local/lib/ralpage/screen-fonts

I have :-

# this file describes the screen fonts available to the interpreter
#
# the font name is that used by documents
#
# each screen font name comprises a prefix, a point size and a suffix.
# To be useful, a range of sizes should be available.
# e.g.
#	family-cache/sans10.snf
#
#	family-cache/sans 	is the prefix
#	10			is one of the available point sizes
#	.snf			is the suffix
#
# a null suffix can be specified with ""
#
# if the prefix begins with a / it is taken to be an absolute path name
# if it does not, the $RALPAGELIB library name is prepended, so that fonts can be
# placed in the ralpage library.
#
# the resolution is in pixels per inch and describes the screen resolution that
# will display the font at the given point size.
#
# font name  	prefix				suffix	resolution	format

Serif-Roman  	adobe-cache/timR		.snf	75		snf
Serif-Italic  	adobe-cache/timI		.snf	75		snf
Serif-Bold  	adobe-cache/timB		.snf	75		snf
Serif-BoldItalic  adobe-cache/timBI		.snf	75		snf

Sans-Roman  	adobe-cache/helvR		.snf	75		snf
Sans-Italic   	adobe-cache/helvO		.snf	75		snf
Sans-Bold  	adobe-cache/helvB		.snf	75		snf
Sans-BoldItalic adobe-cache/helvBO		.snf	75		snf

Times-Roman  	adobe-cache/timR		.snf	75		snf
Times-Italic  	adobe-cache/timI		.snf	75		snf
Times-Bold  	adobe-cache/timB		.snf	75		snf
Times-BoldItalic  adobe-cache/timBI		.snf	75		snf

Helvetica  	adobe-cache/helvR		.snf	75		snf
Helvetica-Oblique  adobe-cache/helvO		.snf	75		snf
Helvetica-Bold 	adobe-cache/helvB		.snf	75		snf
Helvetica-BoldOblique  adobe-cache/helvBO	.snf	75		snf

Courier  	adobe-cache/courR		.snf	75		snf
Courier-Oblique adobe-cache/courO		.snf	75		snf
Courier-Bold  	adobe-cache/courB		.snf	75		snf
Courier-BoldOblique  adobe-cache/courBO		.snf	75		snf

Symbol  	adobe-cache/symb		.snf	75		snf

while adobe-cache is linked to:-

ls -l /usr/local/lib/ralpage/adobe-cache
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root           24 May  8 17:14 /usr/local/lib/ralpage/adobe-cache
-> /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/

--
gerry pratt - workstation support - university of keele
email: gerry@uk.ac.keele.seq1 * tel: 0782 621111 x 3290