[comp.lang.postscript] lp filter for PostScript printers

daves@softest.UUCP (Dave Schneider) (10/22/89)

Does anyone have an "lp" filter for PostScript printers that
changes ascii to PostScript and offers access to other PostScript
features such as landscape, font and size selection....?

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (10/25/89)

In article <188@softest.UUCP> daves@softest.UUCP (Dave Schneider) writes:
>Does anyone have an "lp" filter for PostScript printers that
>changes ascii to PostScript and offers access to other PostScript
>features such as landscape, font and size selection....?

Our Prime EXL's came with such a beast, but I've also rolled my own as follows:

Find a piece of DOS or unix software that minimally supports postscript, and
trap some of it's printer output in a file.  This will usually be a poscript
program to emulate some kind of simple printer.  I snarfed the one from
Javelin.  Write a simple interface script that normally prepends this file to
all output unless the "POST" option is specified.  The latter will pass thru
output from postscript knowledgable software untouched.

Dan.

petri@digiw.UUCP (Petri Alhola) (11/16/89)

In article <188@softest.UUCP> daves@softest.UUCP (Dave Schneider) writes:
>Does anyone have an "lp" filter for PostScript printers that
>changes ascii to PostScript and offers access to other PostScript
>features such as landscape, font and size selection....?

I have made one, that works with system V rel 3.x print spooler
in 386/ix ( interactive systems ). The filter is completely system
independent and i have used it in bsd 4.3 and dos systems.
The filter allows to change font size but not curently change font, becouse
it needs font where all characters are same width ( actualy filter does not
need, but normal lp programs requires it ).
The filter can be used with system V spooler following ways:

cat xyzzy | lp        -- Produces normal 72 rowpotrait listing
cat xyzzy | lp -o-U   -- produces two pages of 66 row listing
cat xyzzy | lp -o-C   -- Directly cat text as postscript to printer

If there is intrest for this kind of program i can post source in some
newsgroup.

Here is option curently implemented in program
$ pscat -?
pcat 1.2 Text to postscript filter. Author and Copyright Petri Alhola 1987-11-27
-c<file> Cat file as postscript prologue
-C       Cat all files as direct postscript files
-f<num>  Set font size to <num> points ( default is 10 )
-k<num>  Set number of columns
-l<num>  Set the left marigin to <num> ( default = 0 )
-<num>    Print file in <num> columns 1..9
-n<num>  Sets number of lines per page: <num> ( default=72 )
-o        Truncates longer lines. default, lines are not truncated
-p<num>  Set number of lines per page
-r        Print page rotated 90 degrees ( landscape )
-u        Print USA, 66 text line documents
-x<num>   Set X offset
-z<path> read file names from <path>
-Z        read file names from stdin
  ----- Combination options -----
-R        -r -o -c=92 -f=7 -2 ( Prints 92 col * 79 row , 2 pages )
-U        -r -o -c=80 -f=8 -2 ( Prints 92 col * 69 row , 2 pages )

Petri Alhola
petri@digiw.fi
petri@digiw.uucp