[comp.lang.postscript] Can you make ditroff print in landscape orientation on an Apple laserwriter?

mherman@alias.UUCP (Michael Herman) (11/16/89)

I have a tbl table that is too wide to print using in a standard
portrait orientation on a laserwriter BUT it would fit if I could
use a landscape orientation.

The tools are have at hand are:
    - ditroff, tbl and -ms
    - Adobe Transcript
    - an Apple LaserWriter Plus

The ideal solution would be something like:
    - set *these* troff registers to *these* values
    - set *these* -ms registers to *these* values
    - use *these* options when you run *these* Transcript programs

... but I am interested in hearing about any solution that might work.

parker@zaphod.Berkeley.EDU (Ross Parker) (11/17/89)

In article <621@alias.UUCP>, mherman@alias.UUCP (Michael Herman) writes:
> The tools are have at hand are:
>     - ditroff, tbl and -ms
>     - Adobe Transcript
>     - an Apple LaserWriter Plus
>
> The ideal solution would be something like:
>     - set *these* troff registers to *these* values
>     - set *these* -ms registers to *these* values
>     - use *these* options when you run *these* Transcript programs
>
> ... but I am interested in hearing about any solution that might work.

If you're using Transcript version 2.1 (I think this will work for
earlier versions also), simply add a '-r' flag onto the 'psdit'
command line. You'll need to set up the page length and page width
within your document to suit (and tbl still has a hard-coded limit,
I believe). Here's a sample command line:

tbl file | /usr/lib/ditroff -ms -Tpsc -i | /usr/local/transcript/psdit -r |
	lpr -Pps

Hope this helps...

Ross Parker      				| Why do they put me down?
Microtel Pacific Research Ltd.			| Make out that I'm a clown?
Burnaby, B.C.,	     				| I drink scotch whisky all
Canada, eh?	     uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker	|	 day long
(604)293-5495	     parker@mpre.mpr.ca		| Yeah I'm gonna save my money
Disclaimer:					| (gonna put it all away...)
My fingers are doing all the work...		| 'Cause I'm a Scotsman

parker@zaphod.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) (11/18/89)

In article <1900@eric.mpr.ca>, parker@zaphod.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) writes:
> If you're using Transcript version 2.1 (I think this will work for
> earlier versions also), simply add a '-r' flag onto the 'psdit'
> command line. You'll need to set up the page length and page width
> within your document to suit (and tbl still has a hard-coded limit,
> I believe). Here's a sample command line:
>
> tbl file | /usr/lib/ditroff -ms -Tpsc -i | /usr/local/transcript/psdit -r |
> 	lpr -Pps

Whoooops!

Ignore that message... I'd forgotten that I'd modified our psdit to
handle page rotation!

What's needed is to include the necessary PostScript commands in
the output of psdit in order to rotate the page.

If anyone's interested, I can send diffs to psdit.

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (11/19/89)

In article <1900@eric.mpr.ca> parker@zaphod.Berkeley.EDU (Ross Parker) writes:
<
<In article <621@alias.UUCP>, mherman@alias.UUCP (Michael Herman) writes:
<> The tools are have at hand are:
<>     - ditroff, tbl and -ms
<>     - Adobe Transcript
<>     - an Apple LaserWriter Plus
<>
<> The ideal solution would be something like:
<>     - set *these* troff registers to *these* values
<>     - set *these* -ms registers to *these* values
<>     - use *these* options when you run *these* Transcript programs
<>
<> ... but I am interested in hearing about any solution that might work.
<
<If you're using Transcript version 2.1 (I think this will work for
<earlier versions also), simply add a '-r' flag onto the 'psdit'
<command line. You'll need to set up the page length and page width
<within your document to suit (and tbl still has a hard-coded limit,
<I believe). Here's a sample command line:
<
<tbl file | /usr/lib/ditroff -ms -Tpsc -i | /usr/local/transcript/psdit -r |
<	lpr -Pps

The Sun release of Transcript has the -r option, the Adobe release doesn't.
I went through this quite a while ago.  Adobe is hoping to add it in a future
release.
--
                harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown