[comp.lang.postscript] AFM files: of any use?

jwhiting@cdp.UUCP (11/15/89)

Do _any_ applications make use of AFM files?  Fontographer
generates them but for whose sake?

thanks,

jwhiting

hjortsho@cg-atla.UUCP (Erik Hjortshoj) (11/16/89)

In article <134400010@cdp> jwhiting@cdp.UUCP writes:

|Do _any_ applications make use of AFM files?  Fontographer
|generates them but for whose sake?
|
|thanks,
|
|jwhiting

Yup, they are used.  They are the only source of kerning data, they
store information on composit characters and provide easy
access to font and character metrics.  Applications
that require this data use the AFM files.

--
Erik Hjortshoj
Agfa Corp, Agfa Compugraphic Division            (508) 658-5600 x7415

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (11/16/89)

In article <8049@cg-atla.UUCP>, hjortsho@cg-atla.UUCP (Erik Hjortshoj) writes:
> In article <134400010@cdp> jwhiting@cdp.UUCP writes:
> |Do _any_ applications make use of AFM files?

> Yup, they are used.

So, then, why aren't they made available?  When I buy a PostScript laser
printer, I don't get AFM files for the fonts.  I can get them from the
Adobe file server, but that doesn't help Joe Consumer.  And Adobe has
never responded to any requests for permission to distribute the things
with any software packages I am aware of.  What good are they if you can't
get them?  (This is one of my major gripes with Adobe . . .)

-tom

smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (J. Daniel Smith) (11/16/89)

In article <12830@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>In article <8049@cg-atla.UUCP>, hjortsho@cg-atla.UUCP (Erik Hjortshoj) writes:
>> In article <134400010@cdp> jwhiting@cdp.UUCP writes:
>> |Do _any_ applications make use of AFM files?
>
>> Yup, they are used.
>
>So, then, why aren't they made available?  When I buy a PostScript laser
>printer, I don't get AFM files for the fonts.  I can get them from the
Isn't there some PostScript programs that sends the AFM information
from the printer to the host comptuer?

I agree, this doesn't help joe consumer much, since the program is
also from the file-server or some other source.

   Dan
J. Daniel Smith                      Internet: smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu
Michigan State University              BITNET: smithdan@msuegr
                                       Usenet: uunet!frith!smithda

Great things can be reduced to small things, and small things can be
reduced to nothing.
              - Chinese Proverb

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (11/16/89)

In article <12830@polya.Stanford.EDU>, rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
> In article <8049@cg-atla.UUCP>, hjortsho@cg-atla.UUCP (Erik Hjortshoj) writes:
> > In article <134400010@cdp> jwhiting@cdp.UUCP writes:
> > |Do _any_ applications make use of AFM files?
>
> > Yup, they are used.
>
> So, then, why aren't they made available?  When I buy a PostScript laser
> printer, I don't get AFM files for the fonts.  I can get them from the
> Adobe file server, but that doesn't help Joe Consumer.  And Adobe has
> never responded to any requests for permission to distribute the things
> with any software packages I am aware of.  What good are they if you can't
> get them?  (This is one of my major gripes with Adobe . . .)
>
> -tom

Ventura Publishing includes them.  As to Adobe, they are fairly arrogant
people anyway.  I doubt you can get anything out of them.  I do not know
what they sell the AFM files for, but I should like to obtain some of them.
You mentioned that they are available off the file server. How does one access
the file server and get them.  Thanks for a reply...

Cheers, Woody

steve@halley.UUCP (Steve Williams) (11/16/89)

In a followup article rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>> |Do _any_ applications make use of AFM files?
>
>> Yup, they are used.
>
>So, then, why aren't they made available?  When I buy a PostScript laser
>printer, I don't get AFM files for the fonts.  I can get them from the
>Adobe file server, but that doesn't help Joe Consumer.  And Adobe has
>never responded to any requests for permission to distribute the things
>with any software packages I am aware of.  What good are they if you can't
>get them?  (This is one of my major gripes with Adobe . . .)

Long before I ever found the fileserver, I got a set of AFM files by
sending Adobe several blank DOS-format diskettes.  They sent me an equal
number of diskettes (not the same disks I sent them) full of AFM files,
for free.  I don't remember how I found out about that service, and I
doubt if they still do it in that casual manner, but I don't think it's
too very hard to get AFM files if you put a little effort into it.  And
"Joe Consumer" has little or no need for the files.  Really, only
developers, hackers, and the insatiatiably curious ever need them.

Steve Williams               ...!cs.utexas.edu!halley!steve

hjortsho@cg-atla.UUCP (Erik Hjortshoj) (11/16/89)

In article <12830@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
|In article <8049@cg-atla.UUCP>, hjortsho@cg-atla.UUCP (Erik Hjortshoj) writes:
|| In article <134400010@cdp> jwhiting@cdp.UUCP writes:
|| |Do _any_ applications make use of AFM files?
|
|| Yup, they are used.
|
|So, then, why aren't they made available?  When I buy a PostScript laser
|printer, I don't get AFM files for the fonts.  I can get them from the
|Adobe file server, but that doesn't help Joe Consumer.  And Adobe has
|never responded to any requests for permission to distribute the things
|with any software packages I am aware of.  What good are they if you can't
|get them?  (This is one of my major gripes with Adobe . . .)

|-tom

Attribute data (font metrics) is used by applications and is
not used by the PostScript printers.  The attribute data is
traditionaly associated with the display (or screen) fonts, not
the printer fonts.  With the introduction of the Adobe Type Manager (ATM),
which alows Type 1 printer fonts to be used for display,  I think you
will see more vendors include AFM files with their fonts.  Also, as the font
capabilities of applications become more sophisticated, their need and
demand (and hence their availability) will become greater.

--

jbw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Jingbai Wang) (11/17/89)

In article <134400010@cdp> jwhiting@cdp.UUCP writes:

>Do _any_ applications make use of AFM files?  Fontographer
>generates them but for whose sake?
>
>thanks,
>
>jwhiting

AFM files are provided by Adobe for other other developers, as I understand.
Many packages translate AFM into their own formats, such as TeX TFM and
Scribe RAW font files. However, there are indeed package which use AFM
files directly, such as new WortStar->PS driver.

JB Wang

dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) (11/17/89)

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:

>In article <12830@polya.Stanford.EDU>, rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>Ventura Publishing includes them.  As to Adobe, they are fairly arrogant
>people anyway.  I doubt you can get anything out of them.  I do not know
>what they sell the AFM files for, but I should like to obtain some of them.
>You mentioned that they are available off the file server. How does one access
>the file server and get them.  Thanks for a reply...

All you have to do is call Adobe and ask for them.  They will send you
a two disk set of AFM for the standard 35 fonts.  It is part number DATA01,
Laserwriter Plus AFM files.  The PPD (printer description) files and a
developer disk containing errorhandler.ps, timepages.ps, uartpatch2.ps,
and sendps (for the mac) are also available.  Call Adobe Developer support
at (415) 961-4400 and ask for Cynthia Johnston or an assistant.  They
are constantly sending literature to me (a register option 2 developer) as
well as a sample copy of AFM.

Dwight Kelly
Director R&D
Network Publications, Inc.

jeynes@adobe.COM (Ross A. Jeynes) (11/18/89)

Yes, AFM files are useful entities.

AFM files were originally created to communicate character width information
to application programs which needed to caclulate linebreaks, etc.  Additional
information is also contained in the AFMs, including kerning data, composite
character data, and general font information, such as the family name, weight,
underline position, version, etc.  The character width information is for the
printer font, not the screen bitmaps, though these widths are usually very
close.

AFM files for a particular font are shipped with the font package.  Because
printer manufacturers do not ship the AFMs for the ROM-resident fonts with
their printers, these (and in fact all) AFMs are available from Adobe via
the following channels:
   1) Developer Support organization; call (415) 961-4111 for a recording
      of more information.  There is a small charge for media and handling.
   2) From the Adobe file server.  If you haven't used the Adobe file server
      before, send the message "help" to ps-file-server@adobe.com
   3) From CompuServe.  Enter "Go Adobe" at the CompuServe prompt.

We also have C source code for an AFM parser available from these same sources
if you are interested in supporting AFMs from your application.

Some developers do ship AFMs with their products so that users can generate
a PostScript language file using the correct character metrics, then take the
file to a service bureau that actually has the font.  While we don't encourage
distributing all of the AFMs with products (because there are a lot of them,
and they are about 10K apiece), we do encourage application support of AFMs
rather than hard-coding widths into the application (hence the availability
of the AFM parser).  This provides a more general font-support solution to
Joe Consumer (who is a personal friend of mine :-).

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Ross Jeynes
Developer Support                                   jeynes@adobe.com
Adobe Systems Incorporated                 {sun|decwrl}!adobe!jeynes

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (11/20/89)

In article <1460@adobe.UUCP>, jeynes@adobe.COM (Ross A. Jeynes) writes:
> Yes, AFM files are useful entities.
>
> AFM files were originally created to communicate character width information
> to application programs which needed to caclulate linebreaks, etc.  Additional
> information is also contained in the AFMs, including kerning data, composite
> character data, and general font information, such as the family name, weight,
> underline position, version, etc.  The character width information is for the
> printer font, not the screen bitmaps, though these widths are usually very
> close.
>
> AFM files for a particular font are shipped with the font package.  Because
> printer manufacturers do not ship the AFMs for the ROM-resident fonts with
> their printers, these (and in fact all) AFMs are available from Adobe via
> the following channels:
>    1) Developer Support organization; call (415) 961-4111 for a recording
>       of more information.  There is a small charge for media and handling.
>    2) From the Adobe file server.  If you haven't used the Adobe file server
>       before, send the message "help" to ps-file-server@adobe.com
>    3) From CompuServe.  Enter "Go Adobe" at the CompuServe prompt.
>
> We also have C source code for an AFM parser available from these same sources
> if you are interested in supporting AFMs from your application.
>
> Some developers do ship AFMs with their products so that users can generate
> a PostScript language file using the correct character metrics, then take the
> file to a service bureau that actually has the font.  While we don't encourage
> distributing all of the AFMs with products (because there are a lot of them,
> and they are about 10K apiece), we do encourage application support of AFMs
> rather than hard-coding widths into the application (hence the availability
> of the AFM parser).  This provides a more general font-support solution to
> Joe Consumer (who is a personal friend of mine :-).
>
> I hope this clears up some of the confusion.
>

> Ross Jeynes
> Developer Support                                   jeynes@adobe.com
> Adobe Systems Incorporated                 {sun|decwrl}!adobe!jeynes

Thanks a lot, Ross.  I appreciate the info, and so do a lot of other people.
now, being a novice user of the net, and having recently (very) gotten
onto the net, just how do you go about getting into the server.  The note
is to send message help to the file server.  Is this accomplished by:

mail ps-file-server@adobe.com

then the message and control 'D' or what?  Is there a direct phone
number that non-netters can use to access the server?  Does the server
support X-modem protocol?  Am looking forward to a reply to these questions.
It would be best for me, if there were a dial-in line directly that I could
access outside of the net,so I could get the stuff directly from my AT....

Thnks

Woody Baker
(512) 837-8317

mackay@adobe.com (Debbie MacKay) (11/21/89)

In article <17331@rpp386.cactus.org> woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) writes:
>Thanks a lot, Ross.  I appreciate the info, and so do a lot of other people.
>now, being a novice user of the net, and having recently (very) gotten
>onto the net, just how do you go about getting into the server.  The note
>is to send message help to the file server.  Is this accomplished by:
>
>mail ps-file-server@adobe.com
>
>then the message and control 'D' or what?  Is there a direct phone
>number that non-netters can use to access the server?  Does the server
>support X-modem protocol?  Am looking forward to a reply to these questions.
>It would be best for me, if there were a dial-in line directly that I could
>access outside of the net,so I could get the stuff directly from my AT....

The Adobe File Server is a automatic mail-response program.
That means that you mail it a request, and it mails back
the response. Direct dial-in is not supported.

To get in touch with the server, send a message (in whatever
way you normally send mail) to "ps-file-server@adobe.COM"
containing the word "help" in either the Subject: field
OR the message body. It will reply with a message on how
to use the available services.

There are many documents available from the server as
PostScript files, plus program sources, Adobe Font Metrics
files, PostScript Printer Description files, and other
things.

You might send a second message containing the word
"index" to save some time once you get the help message.

If you have any problems contacting the server, or you have
any suggestions, please send a message to the moderator
(ps-file-person@adobe.COM).

Deborah MacKay
Adobe Systems Incorporated

>Yes, AFM files are useful entities.

>AFM files were originally created to communicate character width information
>to application programs which needed to caclulate linebreaks, etc.

Does anyone have an official list of what Mac programs do and don't support
AFM files? Word, I believe, doesn't. Fullwrite Professioanl does.
Illustrator would, I hope. But what else?

How do AFM files affect ATM?

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>    Editor,OtherRealms    <+>   Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com   <+>   CI$: 73317,635   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

All it takes is one thorn to make you forget the dozens of roses on the bush.

snoopy@sopwith (Snoopy) (11/27/89)

In article <627@halley.UUCP> steve@halley.UUCP (Steve Williams) writes:

| And "Joe Consumer" has little or no need for the files.  Really, only
| developers, hackers, and the insatiatiably curious ever need them.

I believe the *roff-to-ps programs require the AFM files.  People other
than developers, hackers, and the insatiatiable curious use *roff.

    _____
   /_____\    Snoopy				"I read banned newsgroups."
  /_______\   cse.ogc.edu!sopwith!snoopy
    |___|     sun!nosun!qiclab!sopwith!snoopy
    |___|     uunet!tektronix!tessi!illian!sopwith!snoopy