[comp.lang.postscript] dvi2ps problems on Imagen

weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Joe Weening) (11/30/89)

Whenever I try to print files from dvi2ps (as distributed on the Unix
TeX tape) on our Imagen printer running Ultrascript, I get an error --
an invalidaccess from a "put" command.  Before I investigate further,
I wonder if anyone else has seen this problem and fixed it already.
--
Joe Weening                                Computer Science Dept.
weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU          Stanford University

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (11/30/89)

weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Joe Weening) writes:
> Whenever I try to print files from dvi2ps (as distributed on the Unix
> TeX tape) on our Imagen printer running Ultrascript, I get an error --
> an invalidaccess from a "put" command.

Most versions of dvi2ps have this (and other) PostScript bugs.  The problem
is that the font is being `defined'---and then data is being `put' into the
font dictionary.  It's a no-no, but most Adobe interpreters will accept it.
UltraScript (and many others) will not.  Solution:  use dvips.  Other
solution:  look at the dvips prolog and your dvi2ps prolog, and make the
appropriate changes.

-tom