[comp.lang.postscript] PostScript-->raster driver

arons@sesame.ucdavis.edu (Tom &) (12/06/89)

We have a 36 inch, 400 dpi, 4 color electrostatic plotter that we would
love to be able to dump PostScript files on for making posters etc.
The plotter itself is rather dumb, you set up the color and ship it
your raster over a DMA interface.  Is there a program available that
will simply output the resultant raster to a unix file given PostScript
input.  Disk space, and CPU time are not much of an object.
(disk space better not be an object at ~720kbytes / one color inch :-) )

Thank you,

Tom Arons			Internet: arons@iris.ucdavis.edu
EE/CS Department		Bitnet:   arons@ucdavis
University of California	UUCP:     {lll-crg, ucbvax}!ucdavis!iris!arons
Davis, CA 95616			Phone:    (916) 752-1750

jh34607@suntc.UUCP (john howell) (12/06/89)

In article <ARONS.89Dec5152253@sesame.ucdavis.edu>, arons@sesame.ucdavis.edu (Tom &) writes:
> We have a 36 inch, 400 dpi, 4 color electrostatic plotter that we would
> love to be able to dump PostScript files on for making posters etc.
> The plotter itself is rather dumb, you set up the color and ship it
> your raster over a DMA interface.  Is there a program available that
> will simply output the resultant raster to a unix file given PostScript
> input.  Disk space, and CPU time are not much of an object.
> (disk space better not be an object at ~720kbytes / one color inch :-) )

What you need is a PostScript Interpreter/rasterizer running on you unix
machine and then dump a raster image to the plotter...

One such rasterizer is called "Freedom of Press" from Custom
Applications in Billerica, MA.  It is supposed to take color PostScript
files and then output them to a variety of color (and B&W) printers.  I
understand they generate an intermediate raster file, then translate
that to the particular printer.  They probably don't support your
plotter, but maybe you can do the second step yourself.

I have read that Freedom of Press works well on Macs and PCs, but they
just ported it to a Silicon Graphics which I ordered it for.  Not sure
if they support any other unix machines or not.