[comp.lang.postscript] Paper size selection

schell@llandru.ucdavis.edu (Stephan Schell) (12/06/89)

I would like to print on legal size (8.5x14) paper from the manual feed
slot on an Apple LaserWriter NTX.  The printer is connected to the serial
port on a Sun 3.  When my print job starts, the printer accepts the paper
I offer it and prints only the first 11 inches worth.  At that point,
the paper stops advancing through the printer, and the printer complains of
a paper jam.  I have access to the postscript file that is sent.  Am
I supposed to insert some magic code in the statusdict telling the printer
to assume the legal paper size?  Please help me.

Thanks in advance,
Stephan Schell
Dept. of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
Univ. of California, Davis
schell@iris.ucdavis.edu
...ucbvax!ucdavis!iris!schell

rochlin@arktos.pa.dec.com (Max Rochlin) (12/07/89)

In article  <SCHELL.89Dec5170015@llandru.ucdavis.edu>  Stephan Schell writes:

> I would like to print on legal size (8.5x14) paper from the manual feed
> slot on an Apple LaserWriter NTX.

You must tell the Laserwriter if you are using a page size different from the
paper tray.  On earlier LaserWriter's, you could not over-ride the page size
at all, but I believe that Apple's fixed that problem by now.

|---------------------------------------------------------------\
|		       Revenons a nos moutons...                |
|   rochlin@decwrl.dec.com       {sun,uunet}saxony!madmax!max   |
|   rochlin@arktos.pa.dec.com                apple!madmax!max   |

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (12/07/89)

In article <SCHELL.89Dec5170015@llandru.ucdavis.edu>, schell@llandru.ucdavis.edu (Stephan Schell) writes:

> I would like to print on legal size (8.5x14) paper from the manual feed
> slot on an Apple LaserWriter NTX.  The printer is connected to the serial
> port on a Sun 3.  When my print job starts, the printer accepts the paper
> I offer it and prints only the first 11 inches worth.  At that point,
> the paper stops advancing through the printer, and the printer complains of
> a paper jam.  I have access to the postscript file that is sent.  Am
> I supposed to insert some magic code in the statusdict telling the printer
> to assume the legal paper size?  Please help me.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Stephan Schell
> Dept. of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
> Univ. of California, Davis
> schell@iris.ucdavis.edu
> ...ucbvax!ucdavis!iris!schell

  There is a command called papertray.  Look in the suppliment for your
laserprinter.  It is generaly found in the back of the manuage.  There is
generaly a command called    legal   or    letter that sets the imageable
size of the paper.  by sending the command   legal, the printer will image on
a legal piece of paper.  Settray is diffrent on diffrent printers, but in
general it selects a paper try of a given size.  Again, you will have to look
in the suppliment section of the manual for your particular printer.

Cheers

Woody